LOST MY MIND

Paul Douglass

My wife took a trip to Hawaii with two girlfriends and I missed her so much, I went a little crazy.. I'm not sure how it happened, guess it was just one of those lonely nights and I lost control... I don't know if she will ever forgive me!:(:(:(

Attachments

• sIMG_2413.JPG
    sIMG_2413.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 124
Paul a serious question if you will, what made you see the need for a small lathe when i see you have a nova. ?

As to the wife, well a trip to Hawaii is way more that a mini lathe so i dont think she will be saying anything but nice machine why do you need two.

Paul you have been hitched as long as I have. Mine just kinda of rolls her eye's now and says whatever.:rofl: You might as well fess up cause when she see's the CC statement or bank statement she will know.:rofl::rofl: They do have there ways. Been there done that.:D

Well, on the plus side, if LOYL gets too mad at you, you've got a nice little lathe to help keep you warm at night while you're sleeping in the shop. :p So you've always got that working for you.

Congrats...that's a great little lathe.

Rob, some folks don't like to change jaws, so they get more than one chuck. Other folks don't like to change chucks, so they get more than one lathe. :D Seriously, I'd love to add a midi like this one to my arsenal. You can take it places (demos, turning on vacation, turning at a buddy's place), and there are times when it'd be nice to leave a piece on the big lathe while making a part for it on the small lathe. Hollow forms and finials are a great example of such a case. ;)

I'm not totally sure why I boght this lathe. I have never had a desire to turn anything large and I read so many great things about this lathe. So far it lives up to all I read. I really like it. Maybe it is because I am only 5'7" (a little less as I get older) and weight about 157 lbs. I feel more comfortable with smaller things. I don't know but I'm not sorry. I'm liking it.

My wife found it today. I may be gone for a while.......

Paul, I suspect the variable speed alone will be enough to make this one your primary lathe. ;) The Nova is also a great lathe, but it's not a VS. It should also have pretty good resale value should you decide to sell it, since it is such a popular model.

Paul is that the VS version with the reverse feature?

Sorry, I missed this question. Yes, it is the VS model with reverse. There are three ranges of speeds and so far I have found that the mid-range covers every speed I have wanted. The belt changing, if necessary, is very easy and quick.

The only con I have encountered so far is the handle to engage the indexing is very small and close to the had wheel. Make it a little difficult even for small hands.

You must not be doing to bad Paul...sending TLOYL to Hawaii & being able to purchase a $600 tool. Either you had the cash to do it or you'll wish you did.

Ha! I qualify in the poverty level on income. I work a part time job delivering flowers for a florist to get my money for hobbies. My wife paid for her own trip and it took her a couple years of saving. The secret is no debts. We pay as we go. Something the younger generation doesn't seem to have the patients to do.

My Wife found out that I had a lathe when she saw the bank statement and asked what I'd spent $1,000 on at ---- Equipment. This was 3 months later. I told her what it was and she promptly took $1,000 out of the joint account. I knew better than ask what that was for. Its never been mentioned a year later.

My Wife found out that I had a lathe when she saw the bank statement and asked what I'd spent $1,000 on at ---- Equipment. This was 3 months later. I told her what it was and she promptly took $1,000 out of the joint account. I knew better than ask what that was for. Its never been mentioned a year later.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Does Motel 6 allow turning? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lou Ann has always gotten my paycheck to cover the cost of running the home, clothes for the girls, needed items. 10% went into the farm account. I trained and shod horses for extra money, now I drive bus for my personal money. That money bought cattle and the special feeds for the girls 4H livestock, I have had a surge of money in the past couple of years as the girls no longer need six to ten calves and eight pigs for fair.
I have looked at that lathe since it came out, really like its features, don't think I would sell my JET MINI as it has been a workhorse for me, but the reverse and index are features I think I would learn to enjoy quickly. Keep us updated on your likes and dislikes and how it holds up for you and what you turn on it.

A thing or two.

Generally I come here to learn a thing or two from those that have come before me. I find myself at 37 being one of the "youngsters" here and I really like to stop in to see some of the beautiful work you all are doing while I spin out another pen.

Today, however, I have found that most of you have something to learn from me concerning this topic:

Everyone knows you buy the MINI lathe FIRST, that way you can later tell the wife that it's not BIG enough to do what you want it to do. Then you get her interested in furniture and remind her yet again that the lathe you have is too tiny to spin table legs.

Geeeesh, do I have to teach you old timers everything?

Nah, where is your adventure spirit. You wait until the wife leaves on a trip and buy what you want. Then you try to hide it.... if that doesn't work you duck!!

Attachments

• Food  fight.gif
    Food fight.gif
    49.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: