LOST MY MIND

Unfortunately for me, my wife peruses this forum...

But that being said, my usual modus operandi is to just intercept the package from the delivery man and hide it.... :D :doh: :eek: :rofl:

Extra work.

I see that all of you do exactly what I do, work additional jobs for cash.

My wife also gets my primary income to pay bills, get food, take care of kids. I work an extra 20-30 hours a month in our local emergency room for "Dad Money"

She's a good girl though and has no trouble letting me draw against future "Dad Money" for things I really want NOW! The problem is I generally forget that I already spent it and I'm pretty confused when I realize she has transfered it out of my private account and into the home account. I see it as a revolving credit account she controls.. If it were left to me to spend wisely we would never have any money.

On another note, if you know of anyone who has a good deal on a full-size lathe, lemme know! (It's easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission).

ya have to figure out whats important to the woman.
If youre spending food or rent money on equipment, its a tough sell.
My wife would typically respond like this:
Me:I love the little Jet lathe I have, but I think I need a bigger lathe to make something a bit larger.
Her response: Well, you didnt think that out too well, did you? Maybe youll spend another ton of money on a lathe, and then discover, oh, maybe I should have bought this one, or that one. I think you better stick with the one you got and make do.

Next approach.
Me:I was thinking about another lathe, but since its so expensive, Id rather let you take the money and buy something for yourself, I can always hope one day Ill be able to afford a larger one and make larger things.
Her response: First smart thing you've said all month. Give me the money, Id love to do some shopping.

Next approach.
Me:I think Ill sell my small Jet lathe, get whatever I could and then look to buy a bigger machine, just add some money so I can upgrade.
Her response:I have a getter idea. Why dont you sell the lathe, give me the money, and concentrate on your flatwork(she wouldnt use flatwork, but shed say your furniture without a lathe)

next approach.(this one usually works)
Me:I wanted to make your child a better piece of furniture, but I needed a larger lathe, so Ill have to compromise and not make the piece as nice as I thought I would be able too.
Her response: You really think a larger lathe would make that much of a difference>
Me:Oh, yeah, I can make some really nice legs with a larger lathe(no I cant, but she doesnt have to really know how untalented I am)
Her:Ok, it makes sense. Shop around, maybe someone has one on sale.

Me: (to myself only.) BINGO.

Different approach:

I start about 6 months out reading out loud about each & every tool in the type=table-saw & range of quality=cabinet-saw I am thinking about.

All the while saving up the money to pay for it. By the time I have the money she is ready to not hear about it any more & goes with me to purchase it.

Example my Grizzly DC. I was going to buy a 1 1/2 HP DC but when we got to the show room in Bellingham & were looking at them she picked out the 2 HP model & said wouldn't you be better off with this one & I think you should buy one of those Long Ranger remotes too.

She always knows when I am thinking about buying another tool & what it is & why I picked it over others. Usually during the time I have been reading about said tool someone comes up with a sale where in I save some money too.

I haven't purchased anything in a long time that wasn't on sale, used or re-conditioned or by knowing where to purchase an item that will cover my needs without paying top dollar such as buying router bits that will do what I need from a supplier depending on how much I'll use them & taking into account the material used in & application.

All my clamps were purchased on sale or in a way to save money.