Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Pot

Cedar Pot

Well got back Saturday finally after another 3 week road trip moving our son from Richmond, VA to Wichita, KS. It was a long hard trip on old dad especially moving furniture from the 3rd floor down winding stair and no elevator. Anyway Sunday got up and went to the shop and did some turning since it had been almost 2 months since. I made this potpourri pot for my sis. She has a list of 27 items she wants turned for Christmas gifts which brings the total to turn to 54 or so. It is 3 1/2" tall by 6" in diameter. She wanted glossy so 8 coats of wipe on poly that was buffed. Really feels nice. She got 4 lids and she didn't tell me where but said I could have 3 if I made her one out of the heart. Thought I had better get some shop time in as we leave tomorrow for grandsons birthday on Sunday. Grandma said I missed 6 of them and it ain't going to be 7.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glory Cedar Potpourri 1.jpg   Glory Cedar Potpourri 2.jpg   Glory Cedar Potpourri 3.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Lovely wood, well used there Bernie. I've never seen that type of lid before though. Over here they are all either ceramic or pewter ones.

Pete

Very nice, Bernie.

I was wondering where you'd run off to. I forgot...now that you're retired, you're gonna be too busy to turn.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

hey bernie, did you seal that cedar first befopre the wipe on poly? i have heard it can make finish dry slow and gummy without a sealer ,, i had it happen to me once and from then on i seal it with shellac..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    enother great piece, also was woundering about the lid.
    Steve

Ha!! Great work!! Sorry to hear Retirement isn't all cracked up to be!! ooops...I can't wait!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Very nice and great finish Bernie. The way the yellow tinges come out in the redwood is very very nice. Someone is going to be very happy getting that.
    cheers

Thanks for the kind comments.

Larry I have not had a problem with cedar and either lacquer or wipe on poly gumming up. The wood is bone dry at 6% and don't know if that makes a difference.

Yep Vaughn retirement is great. We have did a lot of traveling this summer. Of course the new pickup errrr.... I mean wood hauler I bought in January now has over 12,000 miles on it. Yep retirement sucks.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work on this one. Love the finish you put on it. Almost looks like you dipped it in glass.
    Dennis

The very high gloss is the one thing I am not so keen on. I do wonder if it is a UK thing as over here most of us wouldn't take it to quite such a high shine. We're all different

Pete