Cedar Pot

Well got back Saturday finally after another 3 week road trip moving our son from Richmond, VA to Wichita, KS. It was a long hard trip on old dad especially moving furniture from the 3rd floor down winding stair and no elevator.:bang::mad: Anyway Sunday got up and went to the shop and did some turning since it had been almost 2 months since. I made this potpourri pot for my sis. She has a list of 27 items she wants turned for Christmas gifts which brings the total to turn to 54 or so. It is 3 1/2" tall by 6" in diameter. She wanted glossy so 8 coats of wipe on poly that was buffed. Really feels nice. She got 4 lids and she didn't tell me where but said I could have 3 if I made her one out of the heart. Thought I had better get some shop time in as we leave tomorrow for grandsons birthday on Sunday. Grandma said I missed 6 of them and it ain't going to be 7.:rofl:

Attachments

• Glory Cedar Potpourri 1.jpg
    Glory Cedar Potpourri 1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Glory Cedar Potpourri 2.jpg
    Glory Cedar Potpourri 2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Glory Cedar Potpourri 3.jpg
    Glory Cedar Potpourri 3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 31
Very nice, Bernie. :thumb:

I was wondering where you'd run off to. I forgot...now that you're retired, you're gonna be too busy to turn. :p

hey bernie, did you seal that cedar first befopre the wipe on poly? i have heard it can make finish dry slow and gummy without a sealer ,, i had it happen to me once and from then on i seal it with shellac..

Thanks for the kind comments.

Larry I have not had a problem with cedar and either lacquer or wipe on poly gumming up. The wood is bone dry at 6% and don't know if that makes a difference.

Yep Vaughn retirement is great. We have did a lot of traveling this summer. Of course the new pickup errrr.... I mean wood hauler I bought in January now has over 12,000 miles on it. Yep retirement sucks.:rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Larry I have not had a problem with cedar and either lacquer or wipe on poly gumming up. The wood is bone dry at 6% and don't know if that makes a difference.

Yep Vaughn retirement is great. We have did a lot of traveling this summer. Of course the new pickup errrr.... I mean wood hauler I bought in January now has over 12,000 miles on it. Yep retirement sucks.:rofl::rofl:

it was from the resins in the wood i was told bernie..

Thanks again.

Pete that is what my sister wanted was a glossy piece. Around here it seems like the glossy stuff sells better than anything else. Don't know why.

Yep Dan I have a piece or two left.

That is really pretty. I never think of turning cedar for some reason and it is really pretty wood.

I tried putting wipe on poly on a piece a while back and after three days it was still wet. I live in the desert and don't understand why. I finally cleaned it off and used spray lacquar.