Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I paid too much...

I paid too much...

but its mint.

purchased new in 2000. Looks to be one of the last US built PM66's. I have an 04' as well, and its a lump-O-poo so hopefully this one is better

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

what was wrong with the 04 karl? shortened version is fine
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    what was wrong with the 04 karl? shortened version is fine
    Constant motor issues. Eats up brushes every two years or so. Tilt and height adjustments suck despite adjusting everything every which way, and lubing the heck out it. (which straight grease has been the most effective, and longest lasting) Also has a cheap switch, hasn't failed yet, but feels poorly made. Oh and a big c-clip slipped off of one of the shafts causing the whole trunnion to slip to the right. Took a while to figure that one out.

Just unloaded the new/old one at the new shop.

Riving knife/guard for sale, plus the mobile base.
    -Yoda

Karl excuse my stupid question but is the brushes being eaten up not a function of the motor. If you changed the motor surely that would go away.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Karl excuse my stupid question but is the brushes being eaten up not a function of the motor. If you changed the motor surely that would go away.
    I didn't know that the PM had a brushed motor. I do have some experience with brush type motors and depending on how many hours a day the motor will run will dictate the brush wear. Also the amount of load on the motor. Brushed need to be under load in order to commutate properly so if the saw is run without any load (not cutting) this will shorten brush life). I could go on and on about causes of shortened brush life but it would be futile. Let me say that the use of a brushed motor in a table saw is a waste of money.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

sorry, not brushes. Points or something, (that doesn't sound right either)? I don't know. It starts having trouble starting, I grunt the motor out take it to the repair place, they fix it, couple years later I do it again. I've done that three times in the six years I've owned the other saw.

Plugging something in is the full extent of my electrical knowledge, beyond hitting the start button or pulling a trigger.
    -Yoda

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    wish I could drop buy and help you with the problem. but it a long drive. could the points be on the starter ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Points might be capacitors.

I hope you get all you expect out of your new saw.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

That's a nice new/old saw, Karl. I hope it serves you well. I'm guessing you put a lot more wood through a saw in an average week than most of us run in a month or three. Based on your experience with the '04 model, I wonder if the PM line has trended more towards the high-end consumer market instead of the low-end pro market. It seems like several brands (Delta and PM come to mind) started heading that direction about 5 to 10 years ago. Out of curiosity, have you seen or heard of any other pros like you running into similar problems with newer PM66s or Unisaws?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    Points might be capacitors...
    Or it could be the contacts in the centrifugal switch to the start windings.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!