I paid too much...

Karl Brogger

but its mint.

purchased new in 2000. Looks to be one of the last US built PM66's. I have an 04' as well, and its a lump-O-poo so hopefully this one is better

60534_1500768970419_1570037517_31211492_4150766_n.jpg

60557_1500769330428_1570037517_31211493_5893878_n.jpg

what was wrong with the 04 karl? shortened version is fine:)

Constant motor issues. Eats up brushes every two years or so. Tilt and height adjustments suck despite adjusting everything every which way, and lubing the heck out it. (which straight grease has been the most effective, and longest lasting) Also has a cheap switch, hasn't failed yet, but feels poorly made. Oh and a big c-clip slipped off of one of the shafts causing the whole trunnion to slip to the right. Took a while to figure that one out.

Just unloaded the new/old one at the new shop.
61373_1500799051171_1570037517_31211563_1048578_n.jpg

Riving knife/guard for sale, plus the mobile base.

Karl excuse my stupid question but is the brushes being eaten up not a function of the motor. If you changed the motor surely that would go away.:huh:

I didn't know that the PM had a brushed motor. I do have some experience with brush type motors and depending on how many hours a day the motor will run will dictate the brush wear. Also the amount of load on the motor. Brushed need to be under load in order to commutate properly so if the saw is run without any load (not cutting) this will shorten brush life). I could go on and on about causes of shortened brush life but it would be futile. Let me say that the use of a brushed motor in a table saw is a waste of money.

sorry, not brushes. Points or something, (that doesn't sound right either)? I don't know. It starts having trouble starting, I grunt the motor out take it to the repair place, they fix it, couple years later I do it again. I've done that three times in the six years I've owned the other saw.

Plugging something in is the full extent of my electrical knowledge, beyond hitting the start button or pulling a trigger.:doh:

That's a nice new/old saw, Karl. I hope it serves you well. I'm guessing you put a lot more wood through a saw in an average week than most of us run in a month or three. Based on your experience with the '04 model, I wonder if the PM line has trended more towards the high-end consumer market instead of the low-end pro market. It seems like several brands (Delta and PM come to mind) started heading that direction about 5 to 10 years ago. Out of curiosity, have you seen or heard of any other pros like you running into similar problems with newer PM66s or Unisaws?

wow it looks barely used. I don't think you could have paid to much, because this saw will probably outlast you. I'd rather have an old US made pm 66 than a chinese made saw anyday, in my opinion.

wow it looks barely used. I don't think you could have paid to much, because this saw will probably outlast you. I'd rather have an old US made pm 66 than a chinese made saw anyday, in my opinion.

Well, I told myself when I went to look at it, (which I brought the enclosed trailer and a fistful of cash to:doh:), I told myself I WAS NOT going to spend over $1300. I saw the saw, and it was in immaculate condition. Tried talking the guy down another $100 just for my own satisfaction, but he wouldn't budge. Screw it, its only money, and I ended up paying $1500 for it. Had it not been borderline perfect I wouldn't have spent so much. I was actually going to just buy another new one, but they apparently aren't made anymore and nothing this class that is currently offered really peaked my interest.

I don't remember what I paid for the other PM66 I have. I think $2700? maybe $2800? I bought a bunch of Powermatic stuff all at once when I started, and money was basically flying out the door at the time. The one I just bought came with the original sales receipt, I'll have to report back on how much that was.

Thats not too bad, I've been seeing pm66 and unisaws going for around 1000-1400 near me, and most of these aren't in as good condition. Yea occasionally I'll see one for about 600 but its alway rusty covered and missing parts.

But compared to a new one just think how much time you saved having to set it up. All you really need to do is tweek the adustments and your good to go.

You guys must be in a totally different market out there
with those resale prices .

Mine I picked up in CT for $325

The Older , pre 1980's are the PM 66's to find , after that
they cheaped out .