Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressor drain valve

Air Compressor drain valve

After reading a post on another forum last night I went out & drained my air tank & removed the drain valve & reducer & installed the a ball valve that fits the threaded hole in the tank.

I pumped up the 50 gallon tank to 120#. Then I opened the valve you can just about guess what happened. There was a 3 gallon shop vac the old metal can style vacuum & a full faced clear mask for turning wrapped up on top of it about 2' from the bottom of the compressor. Well the vacuum ended up about 6' away & the mask was about 18' away & the valve was frosted over. I am happy to announce there is now no water in the bottom of my air tank. The opening on the valve is around 3/4"-1". I just crack the valve & let her rip. What a difference...WOW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop stuff.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Steve Clardy Guest
    Yes. Ball valves are great. Did that to mine several years ago.
    Also put a hose on it to direct the water.
    Those old petcock valves are a pita.

A couple years ago, I found an I-R automatic drain valve for mine on Ebay. Think I only paid about $25.00 for it at the time - they retail for well over $100. Anyway, it has a timer on it, and drains the tank for one second about every hour, whenever the compressor is turned on. Works great. One caveat, though: when the shop is quiet, and you're just relaxinf or working with hand tools, that one second blast of air can be quite starteling.

Anyway, if you can find one on Ebay or wherever, I highly recommend it.
    Jim D.

thanks bart

ya got another good idea to spread around i got a in the works pressor that will have such a contraption on it now. like steve said the other ones arent fun.
    Last edited by larry merlau; 02-09-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: invisible letters
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Question

Hi Jim, Could we see a pic or two of that valve. I'm interested in how you have it arranged.

Thanks in advance

.......... ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    A couple years ago, I found an I-R automatic drain valve for mine on Ebay. Think I only paid about $25.00 for it at the time - they retail for well over $100. Anyway, it has a timer on it, and drains the tank for one second about every hour, whenever the compressor is turned on. Works great. One caveat, though: when the shop is quiet, and you're just relaxinf or working with hand tools, that one second blast of air can be quite starteling.

Anyway, if you can find one on Ebay or wherever, I highly recommend it.
    Thinking about a project without ACTION is just DAY DREAMING .

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright View Post
    Hi Jim, Could we see a pic or two of that valve. I'm interested in how you have it arranged.

Thanks in advance

.......... ..........
    Sure, Boyd. I'll try to get a couple pictures of it tomorrow.
    Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    .....After reading a post on another forum last night I went out & drained my air tank & removed the drain valve & reducer & installed the a ball valve that fits the threaded hole in the tank.

Bart: Sometimes, pictures can be deceiving?? Your valve does not look like it is at the bottom of the tank and allow for total draining of the tank?? How do make sure that all of the moisture is expelled??

there are automatic valves that drain the moisture from the tank every time the compressor shuts off.
    Drawknife, Spokeshave, Plane, Rasp; Decisions, decisions.
    Old tools are all very MODERN, they are all CORDLESS.
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer View Post

Bart: Sometimes, pictures can be deceiving?? Your valve does not look like it is at the bottom of the tank and allow for total draining of the tank?? How do make sure that all of the moisture is expelled??

Randy the valve isn't right at the bottom of the tank because the tank is a hot water tank & the bottom is convex but I checked & all the water is removed when I empty the tank through that approximately 3/4"-1" hole in less than about 5 seconds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC1.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Randy the valve isn't right at the bottom of the tank because the tank is a hot water tank & the bottom is convex but I checked & all the water is removed when I empty the tank through that approximately 3/4"-1" hole in less than about 5 seconds.
    Bart,
    I figured there was a method to your madness.