Pine Cones

Mason Kuettel

I got my hands on some pine cones this week...can't wait to get one on the lathe and make a few pens. The smallest cone is 10.5 inches and the longest is 15.5.

I'll try to get the results up as soon as I can!

Attachments

• Photo09212149.jpg
    Photo09212149.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 102
Man, those are some big pine cones. :eek: Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

And welcome to the forum, Mason. :wave: Always good to add another turner to the group here. (Helps keep those flatworkers nervous.) :p

Welcome and can't wait to see the finished product. I made one using almost a large bottle of thick CA. I don't think that was the correct method. I tried the Midwax wood hardener and had no luck with that. I'm not set up for casting.

Cones

I got my hands on some pine cones this week...can't wait to get one on the lathe and make a few pens. The smallest cone is 10.5 inches and the longest is 15.5.

I'll try to get the results up as soon as I can!

Do you stabilize them first or spin them as found?

Only done a couple of pine cone pens. One I tried the wood hardener route and it worked OK but still required a good bit of CA in the end. My best results have come with lots of CA and lots of patience (im not real good at the second part, though).

Mason i dont see know completed pine cone pics are they hiding or are they very tiny. Be aware Don is on the prowl and he being the sherif and picture police is likely to catch you.:D

Finished the pen this weekend, just got some time last night to take the pictures. Not real happy with the photos yet, I'm still trying to work out a good lighting set up but this will have to do for now.

Finish is CA x ? (I had my shoes on so I lost count:rofl:) with a polish of auto store compound.

Comments and critiques are welcome...I'm still fairly new to this and will take all the tips I can get!

Attachments

• DSC_0130.JPG
    DSC_0130.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 28
Looks like it turned out pretty darn good. Pine cones are not easy for me. Haven't had any real success with them. I would suggest using a different pen kit in the future. A bigger one like a cigar pen or polaris. It would give you more to work with. Nice work. Keep them coming.

Paul, thanks for the comments. I was planning on a slightly larger style until one of the blanks chipped pretty badly and I had to modify my plans...I completely agree that a larger style would be better!

My first wife had a pile of those huge cones she picked up in and around Yosemite... at the time I wasn't into wood working and they just collected dust around the house... she used them as decor accents.... after we separated and she moved out, I tossed them... boy do I regret that now...:(:(