Building a 37" drum sander

well let me offer up option 8... No I can't swear to this but MY dad who was an old time electrician told me that back in WW II when they need 3 phase they would take a 3 phase motor and hook 1 phase to 2 of the winding then hook the three phase phase motor to all three legs. They would wrap a rope around the shaft of the first motor and then close the breaker to the first motor and then pull the rope. The first motor then became a rotary phase converter. Now I'm not recommending this, only passing it along. Oh BTW he said the first motor should be bigger then the second mot. like for a 5 HP load you should use a 7 1/2Hp converter motor.

here is a better look at it...I took apart the cover so you can see the belts. My 16' conveyor broke last week...so I had to use what was available in the shop....4-4"x48" .....waiting for the new 16" to be delivered

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 59
well let me offer up option 8... No I can't swear to this but MY dad who was an old time electrician told me that back in WW II when they need 3 phase they would take a 3 phase motor and hook 1 phase to 2 of the winding then hook the three phase phase motor to all three legs. They would wrap a rope around the shaft of the first motor and then close the breaker to the first motor and then pull the rope. The first motor then became a rotary phase converter. Now I'm not recommending this, only passing it along. Oh BTW he said the first motor should be bigger then the second mot. like for a 5 HP load you should use a 7 1/2Hp converter motor.

This setup is a rudimentary rotary phase converter, the only problem is the 3 phases are not balanced, so between any 2 phases the voltages vary from 190v to 280v or something like that. So to balance them you need capacitors and stuff. Someone on the forum has plans to build one, search for rotary phase converter and you will find some stuff.

This setup is a rudimentary rotary phase converter, the only problem is the 3 phases are not balanced, so between any 2 phases the voltages vary from 190v to 280v or something like that. So to balance them you need capacitors and stuff. Someone on the forum has plans to build one, search for rotary phase converter and you will find some stuff.

okay...gotcha...damn the things you learn here!!

I see, you don't have any problems with the belt slipping? Why does this work better than a chain?:huh: Either way a belt would be cheaper for me because I have plenty of pulleys around and I don't have sprockets so... less to buy

for some reason the belt grips a whole lot better...the chain was slipping on me

I am starting construction on the sander and I came across this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZObeIRx1tE
Their thoughts are since the belt is at an angle it won't leave lines in the wood if theres something on the belt. Any thoughts? That is the only place I saw something like that. It would be easy enough to skew the angle on the sanding drum so its off a few degrees from the conveyor belt.:dunno:

I am starting construction on the sander and I came across this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZObeIRx1tE
Their thoughts are since the belt is at an angle it won't leave lines in the wood if theres something on the belt. Any thoughts? That is the only place I saw something like that. It would be easy enough to skew the angle on the sanding drum so its off a few degrees from the conveyor belt.:dunno:

Dave...I use 2 inch paper and wrap my drum on my 16"...never leaves lines

One of my concerns were when sanding a glue up the glue line would be the same place on the drum through the whole pass and would gunk up the paper. Skewing the piece slightly would work too I suppose. Any thoughts on drum diameter? The sander I am stealing my design from uses a 8" drum.

well the bigger the diameter the more Horse power your gonna need to run the drum. Whet HP motor does the one your borrowing the ideas on verses the size motor your planning on using.

6.5hp, the woodmaster uses a 5hp and a 6" drum which gets good reviews.
A larger drum uses more paper and therefore would need less changes.

One of my concerns were when sanding a glue up the glue line would be the same place on the drum through the whole pass and would gunk up the paper. Skewing the piece slightly would work too I suppose. Any thoughts on drum diameter? The sander I am stealing my design from uses a 8" drum.

I use 6 inch. I know it is oversize.....but i figured I had the motor for it....so i went with it

heres my progress so far. I got the frame done, the conveyor frame is mostly done except for the plate. I am hoping to use a piece of granite for it if I can find one cheap enough. I just finished the conveyor motor today. I'm not sure if the motor will be strong enough. Its hard to stop the conveyor with my hands but I'm concerned that when I'm sanding a large piece that the conveyor may stall out. I'll have to wait and see. Right now the conveyor speed is about 13 feet per minute which should be good for most tasks. The height mechanism is about done, I'm waiting for chain sprockets to arrive, when they do it should be a matter of putting them on the allthread and rigging an idler sprocket. I still need to get a 5-6hp motor, make the sanding drum and pressure rollers and test it out and tweek it.

Attachments

• Nov29_0001.jpg
    Nov29_0001.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Nov29_0003.jpg
    Nov29_0003.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Nov30_0001.jpg
    Nov30_0001.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 58
  • Nov30_0002.jpg
    Nov30_0002.jpg