Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: tv stand/entertainment unit

tv stand/entertainment unit

I was told by my family to keep this one standard, so my ideas were crushed again.
    They are suppressing my artistic flair and this might be the last piece I listen to anyone on.
    Its my woodworking, its my labor, its my wood, its my sweat, its my fingers and splinters and cuts and blood.
    But my wife reminded me its going in her den, and I need her to be happy since shes going to be supporting me from now on.
    Sycamore, eh. Just using the sycamore for the frames, not thrilled with the grain all over the place.
    Hard maple for the top and legs.
    Maple plywood interior, 3 center shelves, fixed, and a door on each side with an adjustable shelf in each cabinet. Standard stuff.
    The sidewalls and door panels will be beautiful spalted silver maple.
    Not sure if Im making raised panels or flat panel. Its like the other units I made, shaker design.
    Dont have much time to devote to it until after Im retired, but while Im working phones and taking care of final business stuff, Im cutting wood and making sawdust.
    Usual pics.
    too many different grain patterns in the sycamore, driving me nuts to match up some, and too busy for face frames, but feh. I cut it all up, wasted alot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed 710 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	49417

my extremely scientific method of getting an arch for the front lower rail of the face frame. 3 nails in the back, a thin piece of wood, and a sharpie.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed 717 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	49420[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed 713 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	49418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed 715 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	49419
    that maple on the back of the work bench is the top of the unit, before I cut it up to joint and plane.

and one more picture. My buddy was over visiting for a minute, noticed a piece of wood and said, hey, you sell this wood to people? I asked why, he said, well, you have a piece marked hold.
    I still got ya chestnut larry.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed 719 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	49421
    Last edited by allen levine; 09-23-2010 at 07:22 PM.

well yu better load i tup and get over my way allen or will turn back into dust at your place
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looks like you have quarter sawn sycamore. To me thats some beautiful wood! I've got two pieces about 10" wide that are book matched. Now I just have to figure out what to make with them.

spent some time last night recalculating measurments, so I can go with pocket screws for alot of the frame and assembly.
    Unit will be more than secure, since inner cabinet will be secured all the way around.

I managed to get the legs, the sidewalls and framework all cut out and mostly routed. Glad I got this far.
    the sycamore frame and spalted silver maple and hard maple legs look like together, no finish applied yet.
    My wife wants me to search through the other boards and find another heart (lower right side of spalted maple)for the other side wall.

The legs were originally 3.5 inches wide square, but it was a task to taper the ends, so I had to think them up to 2 and 7/8 so my saws could handle them.

I tried to use the highly figured sycamore for the side wall frames, so it doesnt look as busy on the face frame of the unit. The spalted maple is busy enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 721 (Medium).jpg   bed 722 (Medium).jpg  

That's some pretty wood Allen
    Faith, Hope & Charity

i think itsa just fine allen but i agree with the misses yu need to find another piece for the other side

cruddy day

alot of rain, alot of humidity.
    Thought Id get in 6-8 hours today, didnt happen. Didnt get out there till 2.
    Wasnt even sure if I wanted to put all the lights on at that point and get busy, but Im addicted. (like I am to posting here)
    I managed to get the side walls together, and attached to the legs.
    I was paying full attention this time before I tapered the legs, as to the orientation of the seam of the glueup, not wanting a seam on the front of the front legs, or the sides of the back legs. Got it right, but not paying too much attention to much else.
    I used the wrong size pocket screw the first screw, and it came through the frame. (bottom right of panel on the left in picture)
    Feels like Im in quicksand with this build, just getting a tiny bit done each day

so how do you taper legs that are over 3.5 inches thick and you cant raise your blade high enough even using an 1/8 of an inch for a jig base?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 725 (Medium).jpg   bed 727 (Medium).jpg   bed 728 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 09-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.

make two cuts allen one half thick plus alittle.. then just smooth out transition with a PLANE that screw problem take it out put in right one glue and clamp the bad spot back flat.. touch sanded you wont see it..

how do you flip that angle on the tablesaw? Id have to cut from the opposite side or upside down, making it very uncomfortable for me to handle.

use the bandsaw
    Faith, Hope & Charity