Thread: Puppygate

Puppygate

I occasionally get some unusual requests for woodwork. Recently, I received a commission to build a puppy gate - just like a baby gate but to keep dogs in or out of a room.

Puppygate is 51 inches wide (total) and the gate portion is 32". The height is 42" to keep the dogs from being able to jump over it. It's made from 5/4 red oak with early American stain and finished with lacquer.

The first picture shows the new puppy (and third dog), Tosca, looking forlornly through the gate. The second picture is of the majority of the gate in my house, just stretched across an opening for the picture.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppygate-11.jpg   Puppygate-10.jpg  
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

That's the best looking puppy gate I've ever seen! or even imagined!!

I've had a couple of those made for me over the years (I'll make my own now) but I always got ones that just looked like white-picket-fence garden gates.

That's a gate fit for the Guggenheim Museum.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

That looks superb, Mike. Great workmanship, as per your usual.

I gotta warn you, though, 42" isn't gonna slow down that lab very much if it wants to go over the gate. We had one about that height and our yellow dog (the smallest of our lot) figured out she could go over it, so I went a bit bigger...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dogs at the Gate 600.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	49449
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Danggone guys, both are extremely wonderful examples of your talents!! Great job on both puppy gates.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING