Table saw
    Router table
    Miter saw
    Radial Arm saw
    Jointer/planer
    Drum Sander
    Wrap around belt sander
    Scroll Saw

The LOML is worried about how the dust is going to effect me. (God Love her!)

I haven't decided whether to build my own or buy a Jet or a Grizzly. Anyone have a thought as to what Horsepower I should be looking at? Or a brand you favor over another?

Still in the design/thought process, but I want to strike while the wife is in a good mood.......as it where!

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't do less than a 3 hp with 6" feeder lines dropping down to 4" at the tool blastgate. I know that sounds big but with my experience of setting them up I wouldn't consider anything less. I have a 3hp on 6" feeders set up with 4" on the blast gates and it is taking care of a lot more machinery than you have stated but mine is open at the discharge dumping into a pile outside the shop. If you bag it all it really holds things back.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager View Post
    I wouldn't do less than a 3 hp with 6" feeder lines dropping down to 4" at the tool blastgate. I know that sounds big but with my experience of setting them up I wouldn't consider anything less. I have a 3hp on 6" feeders set up with 4" on the blast gates and it is taking care of a lot more machinery than you have stated but mine is open at the discharge dumping into a pile outside the shop. If you bag it all it really holds things back.
    Thanks Jim

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Dom,
    Bill Pentz is a expert on dust collection in shops and has a lot of great info on designing DC system for the home shop. Here is a Link to his web site
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Dom,
    Bill Pentz is a expert on dust collection in shops and has a lot of great info on designing DC system for the home shop. Here is a Link to his web site
    Thanks Don.....I have been reading his stuff. He really loves the 5HP motor....I think that might be a little overkill. The man has REALLY researched this subject thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    Thanks Don.....I have been reading his stuff. He really loves the 5HP motor....I think that might be a little overkill. The man has REALLY researched this subject thoroughly.
    It is not overkill, it is what is needed, with the right sized impeller. The stuff your wife is worried about is the super small stuff that floats on the air, this is the stuff that gets stuck in your lungs, never to come out again. The stuff you clean up with a dustpan, that stuff is not going to hurt you.

I'd go one further than what Jim is saying and I'd do 6" right to each machine, if you can manage it. If you are returning the air to the shop, then you really want a cyclone, if you live where you can send it outside like Jim does, well that simplifies a few things for sure
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Check out my thread on building a cyclone.http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=14343
    I originally built the 18" diameter cyclone but found the airflow with 2 blastgates open just barely good enough. I'm using a 16" impeller with the 5 hp motor. With 3 blastgates open my system draws 18 amps. I can also run my system with no filters or ductwork connected and not have to worry about exceeding the current limits of the motor.I have a 8" main duct with 6" branch lines to the machines. Alot of these sysyems are choked down or the tell you not to run them with out ductwork and filters connected to be able to use the smaller 2 and 3 hp motors.

I have since built a new 20" diameter cyclone to get more airflow. What a difference! I can run with three blast gates open now problem and thats with 6" ductwork to all my machines. I modified all my machines to accept the 6" ducts. The airflow is so strong that I always have to have 2 blastgates open otherwise it will suck my flex connections flat.

People think that horsepower isn't important but it is. Impeller size is more important but you need the horsepower to drive it without having to choke the airflow down to keep the motor from burning up. Thats why Bill recommends the 5 hp motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    It is not overkill, it is what is needed, with the right sized impeller. The stuff your wife is worried about is the super small stuff that floats on the air, this is the stuff that gets stuck in your lungs, never to come out again. The stuff you clean up with a dustpan, that stuff is not going to hurt you.

I'd go one further than what Jim is saying and I'd do 6" right to each machine, if you can manage it. If you are returning the air to the shop, then you really want a cyclone, if you live where you can send it outside like Jim does, well that simplifies a few things for sure
    understood and very good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Check out my thread on building a cyclone.http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=14343
    I originally built the 18" diameter cyclone but found the airflow with 2 blastgates open just barely good enough. I'm using a 16" impeller with the 5 hp motor. With 3 blastgates open my system draws 18 amps. I can also run my system with no filters or ductwork connected and not have to worry about exceeding the current limits of the motor.I have a 8" main duct with 6" branch lines to the machines. Alot of these sysyems are choked down or the tell you not to run them with out ductwork and filters connected to be able to use the smaller 2 and 3 hp motors.

I have since built a new 20" diameter cyclone to get more airflow. What a difference! I can run with three blast gates open now problem and thats with 6" ductwork to all my machines. I modified all my machines to accept the 6" ducts. The airflow is so strong that I always have to have 2 blastgates open otherwise it will suck my flex connections flat.

People think that horsepower isn't important but it is. Impeller size is more important but you need the horsepower to drive it without having to choke the airflow down to keep the motor from burning up. Thats why Bill recommends the 5 hp motor.
    Alan
    Did you use the same moter and impeller on the larger unit?....And is it the motor and impeller that Bill is selling on his site?

Dom I have the 2 hp Grizzly and it works great for all my tools and then some. I might use two tools at the same time but most of the time the gates are closed on the ones not in use. Also an air filter system that does 800cfm min and a cartridge dust mask.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............