Thread: Those Boring Tools

Those Boring Tools

I read an article on making boring tools and with some additional answers to questions I asked on Sawmill Creek I decided to give it a try. These tools really work great and hog out the wood. I have less than $20 invested and enough material left over to make a couple more with curved shanks. The shanks are 1/2" steel and the bits are 3/16" HS tool bits. The bits are easily to grind to any profile you like and easy to sharpen. You can see I didn't spend a lot of time on the handles. I find that I also use them in spindle work.

That's sweet Paul...and real good thinking work too . When my Monster get's here I'm going to look into making a couple of those.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Well done, Paul. Those are typically called Oland tools, named after some guy with that name who first popularized them. Yours look like they'll do well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Paul how does one hold the tool that has the bit at 45 degree. Does it not try and rotate in your hand when you look to cut with it?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Paul how does one hold the tool that has the bit at 45 degree. Does it not try and rotate in your hand when you look to cut with it?
    TIGHTLY!

What a boring post...

I have been putting off building such, I have a box full of different HSS machine lathe tool bits that will convert very nicely, Round-to-its are few and far between, of late. Thanks for the post and perhaps inspiration to get off my arse and git-r-done.

Yeah those are nice.........I have just bought some steel for a project and got some additional 3/4" and 1" solid round cold rolled to make a few tools myself. Now i just need some time to make them................LOL
    If you have a rig (I have the Monster) Randy at Monster tools sells a adapter or may be able to help you if you need one.............Dan
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Paul, you have done a great job on making the tools. They will serve you well.

Rob, I just move the tool around until it starts cutting without the tool trying to twist. Then again, I haven't used such tools a lot. I am sure Vaughn will tell you more.

Vaughn's tutorial is what guided me. Only problem I went back to look at it again and the pictures don't show up.