Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty Well

Amherst, New Hampshire

Empty Well

It looks like the lack of rain and the added stress of having my daughter, son in law and 2 granddaughters move in has taken a toll on my shallow well.
    After turning on the faucet and getting no water Saturday afternoon I called the well company and they came out Sunday morning. I was hoping that it was only my pump or tank but my normal 15 feet of water was down to 12 inches.
    The answer is to have a drilled well installed but thats not financially feasible at this time.
    As a quick fix they lowered my foot valve. So at least we get enough water for a real quick shower and the occasional flush but no more clothes or dish washer until something changes. Buying bottled water for cooking and drinking.
    Hopefully we will get a lot of rain before the ground freezes or else it will be a tough winter.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Central NY State
    Sorry to hear of your trouble Bob. Have you made some rain barrels yet? We have a couple, and use them all the time [except when they're frozen solid] to reduce the demand on our well.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I guess I'll stop complaining about my water bill. Hope some rationing and mother nature do the trick for you Bob.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Water table dropping is bad news. Sorry to hear it. Temp fixes are OK for short term. But you really need to save up the bucks and get the well drilled deep, really deep, for a sustainable supply. A couple months of wet weather may seem to fix the problem but it will happen again and again.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

GTA Ontario Canada
    Me too Glenn. Sorry to hear this Bob, are you nowhere near a municipal main?

Outside the beltway
    Bob hopefully some of these rains we are getting just south of you will make it up your way. It's been a very dry summer here also.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::

Kansas City, Missouri
    Bob, Sorry to hear about your issues with the well.

I didn't have time to read into this at all, but there may be funds available to help out with getting a new well drilled from your state.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Sorry to hear that Bob. That must be a real drag. I'll do a rain dance for you.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

North of Reno, NV...middle of the desert
    I feel your pain, Bob. We've been battling our well all summer. We quit watering the lawn to save water (it's all dry and crunchy now, soon to become a labyrinth).

Brent was able to trick out the irrigation tank so we're probably good for a while, but I think we need to start saving the big bucks for a new one some year. Will be praying for rain for you.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Thanks for all the "well wishes"

I've got a well driller giving me a call today. I'm sure that he knows if there are any funds available anywhere. I'll "dig" into that site Darren

Ken, I do have several rain barrels. Problem is there isn't much rain. What little I do collect goes to the wife's blueberry and flower garden.

Rob, I'm about 4 miles l to the nearest water main. This is the first issue we have had in about 13 or 14 years.
    Hopefully the rains will come soon or a lottery win so I can get a deep well drilled.
    Faith, Hope & Charity