Powermatic 64 Table Saw?

Jeff Weight

I have the opportunity to pickup a Powermatic Model 64 table saw with a 52" Accufence. The saw appears to be in very good condition with little use. The price is right.

I'm just not sure it's worth upgrading my Delta/Rockwell 9" contractors saw. My saw has a 40" Beisemeyer fence, upgraded 1.5 HP Baldor motor, double cast iron machined pullies and belts, along with the PALS alignment system. It has been finely tuned, and easily passes the Nickel test. I've been wanting a cabinet or hybrid saw for sometime, and I could really use the 10" capacity with larger table and longer fence. Unfortunately the cost of those saws aren't in the budget right now, but I could easily swing the Powermatic.

So I'm looking for all opinions and advice. Would you upgrade to another contractor saw, or wait for the major upgrade to a cabinet or hybrid saw?

Thanks for you help :)

Jeff

I have the PM64a and absolutely love it. It'd be an upgrade to what you have currently, for sure. But it's not miles above, it's a damb fine saw and really there's only one path up from here - cabinet or bigger.

If that extra inch is important to you (think of all the standard sized blades you could have!!!), upgrading's a certainty. If going cabinet is easily a few years away, then I'd say get the PM. You could probably use your PALS from the delta on the PM (if you reuse the PM's bolts).

As I write this, it occurs to me ... the PM 64a brand new is around $700 ... I've seen used Unisaws for around that on Craigslist. If the deal you're getting is say in the $400 range and the saw's basically new looking you're probably safe. But if we're talking somewhere under $300, I'd seriously check out the bearings and look for any damage before taking the plunge. If all is well, I'd jump on it :)

Hey Jeff,
If you are going the cabinet route someday, then it would be a lot cheaper to go directly there instead of buying something in the middle. I'll bet with a little searchng, you could find a used Unisaw for what you would pay for the PM64 added to what you can get for the Rockwell....

jeff, with a tuned up rockwell i think you`d be money ahead to keep it...it`s really a better made saw and with the good motor it should last you for a good while......when you get a cabinet saw put a 6" dado on the rockwell and keep it.....
if you can turn a quick profit on the powermatic the buy it with the intention of selling it for a buck......

Thanks for all the comments. I believe the 64 would be mostly a lateral move and not really that much of an upgrade. I'm considering buying the Powermatic, to sell at a profit. Then I'll have that much more saved for a cabinet saw.

Jeff