Thread: Little Different Bottle Stopper

Little Different Bottle Stopper

I thought I'd post this. You don't see too many of them made. I just finish my first one this A.M. It was really fun to work with and a little more challenging than that the more common type. It is what I call a Ginter style because I bought the hardware from Ginter Enterprises. The nice thing about them is they seal tight and won't pop out. The bad thing is they take two hands to seal.

Last edited by Paul Douglass; 09-28-2010 at 02:41 AM.

That looks really cool Paul Does the shaft expand in the neck when you tighten it
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Never saw one like that. nice stopper and looks like your giving that new lathe a good work out.
    Steve

Very cool Paul. I've seen that kind of stopper before in the stores, but never a hardware kit for making wooden ones. I'll have to go look Ginter Emterprises up.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That is cool. Thanks for sharing!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I thought I'd post this. You don't see too many of them made. I just finish my first one this A.M. It was really fun to work with and a little more challenging than that the more common type. It is what I call a Ginter style because I bought the hardware from Ginter Enterprises. The nice thing about them is they seal tight and won't pop out. The bad thing is they take two hands to seal.
    Those are pretty nice, and nicely done. I have 5 kits that I bought a while back from Mr. Ginter... I made one, but didn't like it all that much, so haven't done the other kits yet...part of my dislike may have been that I didn't do so well on the one I did try.....

I do a "hidden cork" type that looks similar when installed, but doesn't work the same... they do well for me.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Looks great Paul!
    I haven't tried to make any of those, maybe some day.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Mine certainly didn't turn out as nice as the ones shown on his site. But, it was a practice run and I figured if I muffed it too badly I can salvage the parts and reuse them, which I probably well do. They are a little more challenging though and therefore a little more fun to tinker with. I feel the same effect could be accomplished with the SS bottle stopper just by inserting them into the wood top. Something I plan to try one of these days. By the way I purchased some grape vine wood from an old vineyard that was removed in Australia. I'm really anxious to play with some stoppers out of it when it get dry enough.