Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Superficial Spreading Melanoma.....?

Superficial Spreading Melanoma.....?

Well I just got back from the hospital, I have a "Superficial Spreading Melanoma" (SSM). It comes off on the 13th of October, as soon as they can get me in. Once that is done, they will see if it is benign (good), or malignant (bad), and I'll have to wait ten days to hear. If it is malignant, then I have to go into the hospital again, so they can remove more tissue.

Scary stuff for sure.

My wife is a breast cancer survivor, so I can take strength in that.

I will be trying extra hard to stay on track with my diet and exercise, I think it can only help with me staying healthy and recovering from this.

I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with this type of skin cancer?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Stu, I have had several pre-cancers frozen off but no melanomas. LOML had a melinomas removed from the tip of her nose several years ago and is doing fine. My Brother In Law is having several melinomas removed at present so I can sympathize with you.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I'm sure everything will be fine, Stu. Mainly because you are actively taking care of it. My mom had some similar things removed and was fine. You are reminding me to go see a dermatologist just to make sure some of my childhood moles are still OK (had some removed around 18, but never got checked thereafter).

Wishing you well.

Scary news for sure Stu, but wait until you know the results of the tests.
    My wife had one of those removed some years ago, and so far everything is fine.

Protect yourself from sun exposure.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Hi,

I wish you the very best. You will be in my mind.

Try to fret as little as possible.

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Good thing is that you have caught it early Stu. It is the most common type and because of that the most treatable. Early detection is the key. You are going to be fine and keep up the positive attitude and the bike riding. Your in our prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Sorry to hear that Stu but it is best controlled as soon as it is found.

I have had numerous SSM's remove....at least 13 if I remember correctly.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Stu,
    I've had nine of those surgically removed over the past six years, and have an appointment to get yet another suspected one checked out (biopsied) tomorrow.

All mine have been on my face, scalp, and one on my shoulder. Too much sun exposure in my early years - growing up in the country, then spending 22 years USMC, I spent the first 40+ years of my life in the outdoors. Now I'm paying for it...

All have been benign (so far) though. Hopefully, yours will be, too.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks gents, hearing some of your tales does help. I have to say Emiko, my lovely wife is spooked by this, as she is now just recently completely off the cancer drugs that she has been on for her breast cancer.

I'm being as upbeat as possible, and positive, I'm sure I'll be like the vast of people and just have an interesting scar.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I agree with everyone...the key is to catch it early....and you have. Best of luck to you and get better soon!