Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever tried these interested in testing them?

Anyone ever tried these interested in testing them?

Woodcraft has a special right now on brad point bits with free shipping in the USA.

Has anyone ever tried these bits ? Are they any good?

Would there by chance be 5 guys willing to give em a try and share the cost. With 5 in a buying party we would each get a min of 1 and in some cases 2 drill bits for each size listed. Would work out to around $8 bucks plus shipping and pay pal costs between us.

If you interested holler i would like to try them but dont want $40 dollars worth.
    cheers

I haven't used those specific bits, but have used that type/style of bit, the point does eliminate a lot of begining wandering. I would be in.
    Hey there is another thingy, you know, the Bart Leetch thingy! Is that his ticket and he is in already?? You know, the drill guide/size plastic thingy!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I have a similar (same box style and also brad point bits) set that was on sale at Rockler for a bit less but, not TIN. The sizes are reasonably accurate and the bit quality is better than I would expect from 170 bits at about half the cost of a good set of 7. There are certainly the scattering of really wonky ones but, what do you expect.

I am glad to have them and use them with some degree of confidence. I do use my better bits for things that matter like the clearance holes for square pegs and other holes that will draw attention. For general drilling and no-show holes I have no problem with them at all. For the price, if I didn't already have them, I would probably get them.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

the shipping alone is gonna be around 15 bucks jonathan,, i was looking at it but its gonna cost more than just getting some of them for yoursefl i tithink from canada..not tryun to deflate you rob but i have sent some things to canada and it isnt cheap..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have the Rockler set also. Really like them. The ones you show look pretty similar.
    I've only used brad point bits for wood for years.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Hey there is another thingy, you know, the Bart Leetch thingy! Is that his ticket and he is in already?? You know, the drill guide/size plastic thingy!!
    All spaghetti sizers aside... I have a returned set from Grizzly in a nice metal index they are not the best but not to bad they do the job I think I paid maybe $10-$12 for the set I replace them 1 at a time as needed. I've had them 5-7 years & replaced 1 bit & need 1 small one now.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Delu...5-pc-Set/G1835

The Woodcraft bits look like they may be a better quality bit.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-29-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I've used cheap brad point bits. Didn't like them and got rid of them. A set of LV HSS brad points will cost a little more than the 170, but I bet overall it'll be a better long term value, between quality and durability.

Your idea Rob, to share the purchase is a good one. At least it spreads the risk of a poor buy among several, and you won't be stuck with 169 new bits you don't like.

Ken and Glenn i will bow to your wisdom. Never for one minute thought the size would be iffy.

Sorry guys i am calling this one off. I had enough with junky tools thats why i asked. Good ole saying, if it looks too good its probably junk.

Thanks all for the input. I wanted some decent brads for a reason, Normal hss drill bits dont neccessary make round holes in wood and wander.

Lee Valley it is for me.

Phew saved again......priceless.
    cheers

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Rob, I just bought a few brad point bits. Can't swear to their quality, but if you want to try some, I'd be happy to send you a couple.....Just PM me.
    cynthia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Thanks Cynthia, i do have some already appreciate the offer though. These were just what looked like a deal to good to be true and from what i am gathering they are. I will stick with LV i know for things like this i cannot go wrong there.
    cheers