Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1912 Calgary Stampede

1912 Calgary Stampede

My grandfather attended the first Calgary Stampede in 1912 and brought this pennant back home with him.

I had the Glenbow Museum and the Calgary Stamped Museum look at the pennant and they authenticated and appraised.

Guy Weadick produced the first “Frontier Days and Cowboy Championship Contest” soon to be known as the Calgary Stampede. The Big Four – Pat Burns, George Lane, A.E Cross and A.J. Maclean – provided financial backing.

1919 Guy Weadick returned to Calgary to produce the second Stampede, called the Victory Stampede in honour of the end of World War I. The original Agriculture Building with the Victoria Pavilion was completed.

1923 The “Calgary Stampede” merged with the “Calgary Industrial Exhibition” to form the “Calgary Exhibition & Stampede.” Guy Weadick moved to Calgary to produce an annual Stampede at the same time as the Exhibition. He invented chuckwagon racing, downtown attractions and the other community activities that brand the Stampede today.

Les

Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thats really cool Les, I been to Calgary but not for the stamped,
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Family history is so interesting. That is really cool Les.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Nice pennant! Nice display case! Nice story! Thanks Les for sharing!
    Victor

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    A video is worth a thousand pictures.
    Experience is priceless.

Well Les, you sure changed the information in your post from what I thought it was going to be about. What with all the casting you have been doing, I thought maybe , you know , some cow , yep, thought you were going to show a casting of some bull poop .

That is one fantastic penant, great case, great story excellent history. Congratulations!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

That is so cool Les. Great piece of Canadiana and history. This is one of the things on my bucket list. I aint going into a box before i been to the Calgary Stampede. My whole life i wanted to be a cowboy. I watch on TV but that aint a touch on what it must be like to be there.

There are so few people i come across in Canada that are multi generation families yet have their history. Its great that you have that penant.

Hey Les just thinking outside the box again, how about a new casting. This time a minature picture of a cowboy on a bucking horse.

Wrapped around the pen tube and with some mini home made barb wire or better still mini home made rope around the bottom and top. Then cast it in clear.

Could be a cool stampede trophy pen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bucking horse.jpg  
    cheers

Hey Rob, thats a great Idea, I'll have to contact my brother in law. He used to ride bare back on the professional circuit. Maybe he's got some pics that Les could use. BTW he's now a Baptist Minister so no more bucking broncs for him.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

You know Don looking at the penant again Les you could take the image off the penant itself and reduce it. Just start with high res picture. Even the whole penant. Ok enough i am getting carried away. Anything cowboy and i go nuts.
    cheers

Well Rob if ya want Cowboy come on down. I'll take ya horse back riding in the superstition mountain around where the lost Dutchman mine is supposed to be..
    Or we can go up to monument valley where Glenn Ford made a number of movies with John Wayne.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 09-30-2010 at 03:22 AM.

Cool story, and a very nice case to preserve it in.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com