Stupid Question

Drew Croy

Ok. I'm trying to buy new parts for my lathe and I lack the vocabulary to get the job done.

I know the tail end that holds the piece is generally called a live center. I know you can put a chuck in the head part but what is the part that LOOKS like the live center but does not have bearings that goes in the head end if you dont want to use a chuck?

Drew, I think you're talking about what's called the spur center.

images

There's also a version that only has the pointy part without the chisel-looking parts, and it's called a dead center.

images

?

Isn't the Spur Drive the one that has the extra wings to hold wood projects?
Ok lets try it this way: If you were going to turn a pen between centers what part would you need on the head end to get the job done?

Isn't the Spur Drive the one that has the extra wings to hold wood projects?
Ok lets try it this way: If you were going to turn a pen between centers what part would you need on the head end to get the job done?

A dead center...the lower example in the two pics I posted.

Normally you will mount a MAndrell on the head stock, when turning pens. A live center with a 60% point on it fits into the tail end of the mandrell, tight enough so that it will not slip without you holding it and putting pressure on it.

Don't know what kind of pen you're going to turn. If a slimline, you will get a set of 7mm bushings with Woodcrafts "Pen and Pencil Makers Manderl" P/N 141469 (#2mt) for 12.99. Bruce

Normally you will mount a MAndrell on the head stock, when turning pens. A live center with a 60% point on it fits into the tail end of the mandrell, tight enough so that it will not slip without you holding it and putting pressure on it.

Don't know what kind of pen you're going to turn. If a slimline, you will get a set of 7mm bushings with Woodcrafts "Pen and Pencil Makers Manderl" P/N 141469 (#2mt) for 12.99. Bruce

Bruce, a number of folks are turning pens lately without the mandrel. They turn each barrel separately, using a dead center at the headstock and a live center at the tailstock. There are guys making special "no mandrel" bushings for this, although with some kits you can get OK results using the bushing intended for use on a mandrel.

Bruce,
You can get 7mm bushings that work between centers from a guy named Johnnycnc on the IAP... his website is at:

http://www.penturnersproducts.com/

they work well. He also has bushings for most other pen kits as well, but you really don't need anything special for those kits where the bushings fits inside the tube.. I turn pens between centers almost exclusively now.

Mandrel

I love the ease and convenience of mandrel turning but one or two dead stops and your mandrel is no longer straight and your pens suffer the consequences. You can either go buy a new mandrel insert for 5 bucks or you can turn between centers and never have that problem again.

I just got done buying 3 new mandrel shafts... just not ready to COMPLETELY give it up yet but I also bought a set of center turning bushings from John too.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than to finish a pen on the mandrel only to take it off and find out the end was oval and doesn't fit right with my kit. You just cant tell when it's on the mandrel. It looks fine and your heartache only starts when you get to the assembly process, by then you have 30 minutes to an hour into it and no way to fix it.

So we have adopted a new shop rule. 1-2 dead stops on the mandrel means get new mandrel or ditch and turn between centers and use mandrel for finishing only.

I've gone to between the centers 100% now. The bushing cost is the same as a few mandrels. The difference in the fit is night and day. ;)