Some Photos from the Fair

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I went to the LA County Fair (again) a couple nights ago and did a bit more playing around with the new camera. This year's theme at the Fine Arts building had to do with progress and industrialization. Here are a few shots that I thought might be of interest to the gang here. There are also a bunch of more nighttime shots from the midway in this photo album.

An old wood boring machine...

LA County Fair Exhibits 001 - 800.jpg

A wooden drummer contraption thingy...

LA County Fair Exhibits 002 - 800.jpg

A 1875 Pico Oil Field Steam Engine...

LA County Fair Exhibits 003 - 800.jpg

A "Washington style" printing press, quite likely older than Larry and Tom put together...

LA County Fair Exhibits 004 - 800.jpg

An old Linotype machine (posted for Larry and Tom)...

LA County Fair Exhibits 005 - 800.jpg

Some nicely carved Maloof-inspired rockers made by Osvaldo Orellana (www.woodismagic.com)...

LA County Fair Exhibits 008 - 800.jpg LA County Fair Exhibits 009 - 800.jpg

And a rocking horse made by the same guy...

LA County Fair Exhibits 010 - 800.jpg LA County Fair Exhibits 012 - 800.jpg

Cool stuff. Those chairs and the horse are awesome. I missed our fair this year, missed getting my corn dog as well. Hope you made that up for me and had two. ;)

...I missed our fair this year, missed getting my corn dog as well. Hope you made that up for me and had two. ;)

I just couldn't bring myself to pay "Fair prices" for much of the food. The prices were ridiculous. I had a chili cheese dog (from the "World Famous" Pink's Hot Dog stand) and it was $8.50. I usually get an order of the fresh-made potato chips from another one of the places, but by the time I bought the cheese sauce to dip them it it would have been north of $11.00. For danged potato chips. :tantrum: So I made do with my $4.00 Coke in the souvenir cup with $2.20 refills. :rolleyes:

Our county fair is a "free gate" fair, no parking or admission charged. Is yours?
Those are great pictures and amazing chairs and rocking horse! :eek:
Being able to do that kind of work is a gift. Thanks for sharing them Vaughn. :thumb:

Holy Moley Vaughn you got me taped thats for sure. Boy am i glad you got that new camera:D:thumb: and that you went to the fair.

Man i am speechless to see some of those exhibits. One after another they took my breath away.

Stand aside Sam Maloof is what i thought when i saw the rocking chair.:eek: I dont think i would buy one i would prefer Sams version:D but man there are some creative people in this world.

All i could think of when i saw that automata is of Ken our recently joined new member that made that excellent machine and video. Bet he would enjoy making that.

The horse there is no words to describe it. Just amazing.

You took real great pics Vaughn i trully appreciate you thinking of us and posting them.

As for the food prices at fairs etc. well lets just say a big +1 on the rant.:tantrum:

Thanks either you or Darren for the extra smileys btw:D:thumb::thumb:

Great pics Vaughn:coolphotos: and I love the new smileys:thumb: That Linotype machine sure brings back memories, I remember watching those in use in total amazement, a lost trade now:eek:

Our county fair is a "free gate" fair, no parking or admission charged. Is yours?...

General admission is $12.00, although you can get tickets for $10.00 from one of the supermarket chains in town. A Season Ticket is $25.00 or so, and it also gets you a $5.00 discount on parking. On Fridays, they have food drives and you can get in for $5.00 if you bring five cans of food. Parking is from $10.00 to $20.00. A family of four could drop some serious money on a day at the fair. Not as bad as Disneyland or some of the other big theme parks, but still not a cheap date.