Bought a compressor, have second thoughts. Need timely advice

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
I've heard good things about the occasional Harbor Freight tool, and the air compressors are one of them. I just bought the 2hp/8gal hot dog version for $80 after coupon. They also had the 3hp/21gal upright version for $96 after coupon.

Imam thinking about going back and switching it. I have given up trying to run one on a compressor, so I'll be running this off the house and using a long hose. To hook it up, I would be takin it out of the shed, and down the hill to the house. I don't think I would be able to keep it at the house, so I'd have to haul it back up the hill when I was done. I don't know if the weight of the upright would be too much. I also don't know if the 21gal would run what I'd want the larger capacity for - air tools and a HVLP sprayer. I don't have an immediate plans to do either. The 21gal would be a good bit harder to make room for too, but I probably could do it.

Thoughts? Sale ends tomorrow.

I've got a little 1hp Craftsman that I use for my air nailers. The thing that surprises me is it actually does a decent job of running my 'wall texture gun', or splatter gun.

I've got a biggun in the shop for the other kind of tools.

I used to have a 20 gallon compressor but got rid of it because it was too big for the small uses, and too small for the bigger chores.

You have a tough choice since the price is so close.

But my little one is so useful for airing up tires and air guns, and it's small enough to be easy enough to carry around...

Not sure if this was any help Just my :twocents:

I just thought of something.

If I'm going to have it unplugged and stored when I'm not using it, and have to take it to be plugged in when I am, perhaps the 8gal would be the better choice. My reasoning is, I bet the 21gal would take ages to get up to pressure, right?

With that, and having to take it up and down the hill, I think the 8gal is a happy medium. At least for the time being, and they always have those sales.

Sounds like a good compromise. The 8gal should do quite a bit of things.

A compress, no matter what size, is a pretty handy tool to have around. :thumb:

Compressor I bought: (slightly different-the one I bought has two front legs and was $99.99 on sale)
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...on-115-psi-portable-air-compressor-95386.html

One I'm considering:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-94667.html

Chris I had the first one listed and it lasted for over 5 years until the tank rusted through were the foot was welded on. I bought the other one this last time and it has worked just fine for my needs but make sure you through away the fitting that comes with it as it will reduced the air volume WAY to much.

I was happy with both of them for the money.

Chris. I have a 11/2 hp emglo airmate. 4 gal. tank in my shop. It runs any air nailer/stapler I have with much power to spare.
In my garage I have a 1/12 hp emglo wheelbarrow with twin 4 gal tanks. It was used to run my air wrenches when I was rebuilding my corvette.

For general shop and home use you will not go wrong at the price with the smaller one.
Just try not to have more than 50 feet of hose. The pressure drop will (depending on the cfm of the unit) will make it hard to keep the pressure you need at the tool.

Yes, compressors can be very handy. I don't really know the size of mine. I'll just say "small". The tank has to be only about 2 gal. But no matter, I have a hillside house and carrying even moderately heavy stuff around can be a chore. So, I use my garden tractor and a small trailer a lot, and I do mean a lot. Sometimes I'll use my ATV to tow the trailer. This can be an answer for lots of folks. Easier on the back then carrying. And those hills do get a little steeper every year.

With compressors it usually depends on the tools you're using with them and the cfm they use. A bigger tank will afford you the option to run longer between compressor cycles. For tools like air sanders, drills, and impacts, you'll want a larger compressor with higher cfm output, otherwise the compressor will probably not stop cycling.

I'm picking up a larger one for the shop, but I've got an older craftsman that my dad gave me for running the shop tools, but the pancake style I have runs my nailers just fine. It even does a good job of running my framing nailer without cycling too often (of course could be the speed of the carpenter :rolleyes:) :D