Thread: veneering for the first time

veneering for the first time

well kids, it's about time i caught up to the 18th century, and tried my hand at veneering. this is going to be the insert for the serving tray in the wine cabinet projet for the state fair next year. the adventure begins...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails luan substrate for veneered tray.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Ahhh, the infamous "blank slate." I can't wait to see what you're gonna do with it.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

here are the end results, cut the veneer to size, glued up the substrate, placed the veneer on both sides, and placed between 2 flat surfaces, and piled on everything heavy i could find, up to and including the sewing machine. got up this morning, took everything off, and was greatly disappointed. air pockets all over the place, and 3 big ripples on the bottom (of all places). what the heck happened here? there was at least 100 lbs of weight on it. could it have been that my veneer was so old (almost 7 years) that it was useless? if so, i'll have to get more veneer and try again....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

There are a few good books on veneering. One I recommend is “Woodworker’s Guide to Veneering and Inlay”, by Jonathan Benson. About $16.50 at Amazon.

Also, I have some veneering tutorials on my web site but most are advanced techniques.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Have you tried this site to get info on veneering.http://www.joewoodworker.com/ It has alot of good info.

I did alot of research about veneering before I did my first veneer job. I had to cause each 4 x 8 sheet of venner cost $458 and there was 24 of them. I ended up buying a vacum bag kit from woodcraft. This is the kit I got and an additional 5' x 9' bag.http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Vinyl-Bag.aspx