Phase I - Making a Holllowing Rig

Dan Mosley

Today was day 2 of getting to play around with making a hollowing rig. The first day was nothing to talk about because all I did was go buy some steel for the project ($65-$75.00). But not all of it was meant for the hollowing rig. I made a 1" tool rest and fixed a broken welding cart with a couple small pc's and replaced the 5/8" axle (Pictures below). I picked up the welding cart and tanks for $50 (garage sale). Ok, so I started by laying out how I was going to make it on paper (using some of Stuart's pictures for reference) with measurements and cut up alot of the steel with my chop saw.

Today - Day 2 - I used a 110v, flux cored mig welder to tack the pc's in place so I could assemble most of it. The welder is weak honestly but it worked for now to tack it up - later when i get a torch set ill finish up the welding in a better way. The frame is 1 1/4 tube steel and I made a coupler out of 1" solid core that has a 3/4" hole drilled in it that I can slip in and out of the 1 1/4 tube steel - other end will hold a 3/4 solid goose neck tool.
I had a friend at a shop put a couple nuts on it and tap it and figure out how I want to do the tip for cutters.

Everything else i drilled and tapped myself. I used 1/4" small bolts for the holds and ground flat areas on the rounds to help keep it from slipping. Later ill add 1/4 nuts tack welded in place and drilled and tapped.

The goose neck is 3/4" solid cold rolled also and was heated and bent into the same configuration as the one I bought from Monster Tools. A flat area ground for the tip "almost" to the half way of the bar. I still need to drill and tap it.

Picture 1 - Rest 1" solid round
Picture 2-4 - Beginning of the hollowing rig assembly
Picture 5-9 - old and new welding cart with new axle and wheels from Harbor Freight

Is it a fun project ? Yep, but I have had alot of small headaches along the way and trips to the hardware store etc....
Will it work well ? Stay tuned....................LOL

Comments or suggestions ?

Thanks Dan

Attachments

• Tool Rest.jpg
    Tool Rest.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Hollowing-Tool-1.jpg
    Hollowing-Tool-1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Hollowing-Tool-2.jpg
    Hollowing-Tool-2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Hollowing-Tool-3.jpg
    Hollowing-Tool-3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Cart.jpg
    Cart.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Welder.jpg
    Welder.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Welding Cart .jpg
    Welding Cart .jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Cart-2.jpg
    Cart-2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Cart-3.jpg
    Cart-3.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Dan, that cart is looking good!! :thumb::thumb: I just bought one from a junk man with tall steel wheels for 40 bucks. Need to sandblast, prime and paint it also. When the cylinders have the regulators on them, that is when they are THE most vulnerable to causing an accident by falling over. The metal screw on caps prevent the neck from getting broken off in a fall. Make sure if the caps are not on the cylinders (regulators are on or whatever) that they are secured. I can't tell, but if that chain is plastic links, I would immediately replace it with secure metal chain. Rough ground, broken chain, cylinder fall away from you (thus pointing it at you) neck hits a rock, curb, etc and breaks off, over 900#s of pressure pushing that large cylinder into your body won't be pretty. The hollowing rig, thank goodness have stayed away from that sickness at this point. I just call what you all do to hollow vessels and bowls magic!
Are you using flux cored wire on your little MIG?

Stephen - Still need to post to aaw to i guess but it is a fun project. For me its been slow going with work and other things.

Johnathan - Flux cored mig -110v, it just does not penetrate well or hold like you would expect. I thought about a stronger unit 220v like the one Miller makes but I dont use them much and they are costly.
The cart has metal chain got a new one from Lowes junk pile for $1.00 for 8', the tanks were missing the caps but im going to get one when I get the Acet filled next week

Obviously they won't fit when the regulators are on them. But when delivered it is standard they are on. I have had a couple different demo 110 welders and if I remember your metal was solid rod. With the torch a little preheating and it might have penetrated better. But it looked standard to what my experiences have been. Sheet metal welders at best.

yeah even using it on the square tube steel it just does not work. I think your right for sheet metal it would do fine but it sure does not work on this cold rolled stuff.............I am eager to get the torch kit on my next day off and make some good welds.