How to roll a car

Art, I don't know if it is real or fake, but have had a couple of street rods that cause thoughts of doing stuff like that! Drew, that is one cool video!! :thumb:
I put a 350 Chevy with an automatic trans in a 1972 Javelin AMX, twisted the speedometer cable in two burying the speedo at 110!, put in a 130 or 140 speedo (can't remember and sold the car so can't check) and never twisted it off again (couldn't bury the needle anymore!). Was running it hard enough that I went airborne while on the roadway of an overpass. Quite the landing! Yep, it is a wonder I survived my childhood. :doh::dunno::huh::D

I think Real Art. it is do able with the curve of the tunnel and the ramps. Enough speed and anything is possible just like the cars at the fairs that go around the loops the centrifical forces will hold them to the ceiling for the short time that they are there. This is no different. I am sure that it took some set up as well as I think the lights in that tunnel are caged. Here is the longer video of it.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/14422582/1567227831/name/AV-MercedesSLSRoll.wmv

Art, I don't know if it is real or fake, but have had a couple of street rods that cause thoughts of doing stuff like that! Drew, that is one cool video!! :thumb:
I put a 350 Chevy with an automatic trans in a 1972 Javelin AMX, twisted the speedometer cable in two burying the speedo at 110!, put in a 130 or 140 speedo (can't remember and sold the car so can't check) and never twisted it off again (couldn't bury the needle anymore!). Was running it hard enough that I went airborne while on the roadway of an overpass. Quite the landing! Yep, it is a wonder I survived my childhood. :doh::dunno::huh::D

Yea Jonathan it is a wonder that any of us survived our childhoods back when drinking driving was not as big a deal as it is now and seat belts were not manditory, no air bags and most of us were afraid of being brought home to our parents more than going to jail. :eek: I had a friend once that had an old hopped up 69 camero that had the speedo that went to 140 mph and he only attempted to bury the needle once with me in the car. I can see that doing the loop as it went fast enough.

I think Real Art. it is do able with the curve of the tunnel and the ramps.

I've googled and not found a definitive answer, but I did find one comment that really makes me suspect it is fake. If you watch the video slower, you see people IN THE TUNNEL when the car is racing, and in fact you see a vehicle parked there as the car flies by. If they did something like this, I would expect them to totally close the tunnel and not have ANYONE in there.

I've googled and not found a definitive answer, but I did find one comment that really makes me suspect it is fake. If you watch the video slower, you see people IN THE TUNNEL when the car is racing, and in fact you see a vehicle parked there as the car flies by. If they did something like this, I would expect them to totally close the tunnel and not have ANYONE in there.

I took a good look at it doing pause and the car in the tunnel is connected to the stunt. It looks like guys with computers and techs. Also Firfighters I guess in case they are needed. They took the lights out on either side of the ceiling and having been in the tunnel I seem to remember it being on an incline so that could have something to do with it. If you were traveling down hill an speed something like that is possible I guess. Anyways with the stop footage it looks like the real thing.

I seached around Art and found a few posts on it and one was from the permit office of the government that had to give permision for the stunt and they say it did happen as it is shown. The other posts did point out that it was not all shot in one shoot it was done in several camera shots. When theyt sheo the car swerving around the concrete barrier it straightens out and then it shows another camera angle where the ramp is far before that point. The last shot is it driving down the road and then stopping with the doors open is a totally different road. I am sure that it is real but i am also sure that the video was done in several angles and takes.