Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockler pocket hole clamp question

Rockler pocket hole clamp question

I see Rockler has a special on these pocket hole clamps. Just thought i would ask if anyone has bought one and used it.

My concern is when the face frame is lying flat on the bench how are you supposed to tighten the Wing nut type threaded clamp part.

Would like to know if its worth useing. I have not got into pocket holes for the very reason of holding the two parts secure before screwing.

In picture form this looks like it does the job. I am looking for first hand experience. Bought enough pictures in my time. Aint doing it no more if i can help it.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I had to take a second look to see what they did, IMHO it's just a gimmick. I do a fir amount of pocket holes and traditional clamps work fine.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Also in order to use those clamps you have to drill two pockets holes, one for the clamps so that you can put a screw in the second hole. I normaly only drill 1 hole and glue.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don thats exactly what i was thinking gimmic Now we know why the special deal, they need to move em.

These kinds of things remind me of that old movie, One Born Every Day.
    cheers

I was given one (unsolicited) as a birthday gift a few months back. I used it (more like tried to use it) once and put it away in my drawer full of "nice try gimmicks" wher it's been ever since.

Pretty much just what Don said about it.

And Rob - so far as holding the joint together for assembly - all you need to do is hold the pieces down flat to the bench top. Kreg, in their kits, has a vice-grip type clamp that does it very well, but nearly any regular clamp will work.

Pocket hole joinery is particularly nice for face frames, etc., but I've never liked the idea of putting them where they show, even if they're plugged. Those teardrop shaped plugs just don't do it for me.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I'm on the gimmick team. If you need this, you haven't looked around your shop for something else to do the job. Sorry your drawer is just that much more full Jim. Its the thought that counts. We all have something like that ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Yeah Glenn i am thinking we should have a gimmic thread.
    cheers

We try tried them in the shop. Big problem is that you have to cut them back in order to use them. Plus they do not hold the boards flat.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Isn't that sort of like the Kreg thing? I thought the Kreg jig for pocket holes was well liked? no?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Cynthia Kreg thing you pointed to is well liked. The Kreg jig you pointed to is a pocket hole drill jig.

This Rockler gimic clamp is to be able to pull two pieces of wood in a face frame together while you drive in the pocket hole screw on the second hole.

As Don made the point it means the wood you use and the number of holes you drill are affected to use it. Wood needs to be wide enough to take two holes and you need to drill two holes to use it.

Kreg kits contain a standard clamp to do this same task you can see it in the Kreg kit picture.
    cheers