Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thankyou harbor freight?

thankyou harbor freight?

my BIL told me he was driving home and saw they are opening a harbor freight 8 minutes from my home.
    So, has anyone heard about a new location in Hempstead NY? 226 penninsula blvd? Right near Staples?

if its true, Id like to personally thank them for their timing, since Ill have plenty of free time to spend looking and shopping in their store.
    IM not promoting their store,nor have any financial interest other than spending money, but I love to shop there and spend time there.

just got my Harbor freight flier in the mail.....Looks like I might be taking the 50 minute ride their tomorrow.....I am like you...Just looking at everything is a great way to spend an afternoon! (Kind of like looking through the Grizzly catalog ...and dreaming)

Harbor Freight

To mention Harbor Freight and Grizzly in the same sentence takes a strong man.

Be very cautious of Harbor Freight stuff.

They have many items that are OK for short term cheap and quick use.

Some OK stuff just be aware they do not have a lot of tools that will be passed on to your Grand Kids.

-----

To keep this post civil I kept my real thoughts on HF held tightly in check.

I have to admit, I love going to harbor freight here in Reno.

Am I going to buy a table saw or Lathe from them?

I doubt it, but they do have great deals on a lot of 'stuff'.

Locking Casters? Sure thing.
    Diamond blades for cutting flagstone? You betcha.

And they also have some things you just can't find anywhere else. It's a fun store to shop at for sure.

Can you buy stuff there that is junk? Sure thing. But they also have a bunch of other stuff that's actually a pretty good deal.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Their Air tools are pretty decent, I got a RAS that just won't quit. I have a bench belt sander that looks and feels just like the one that delta sells. That said for the most part their power tools are well lets just say I don't generaly buy them.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I purchase mainly stuff that usually overpriced at other places and not the kind of stuff Ill be using for 10 years.
    Gloves, bungee cords, disposable paint brushes, metal rulers, rope, dust pans, but I have purchased a few expensive items.
    Hydraulic lift table, and had no problems with it.
    Lathe stopped working after a week, they didnt give me a hard time returning it.
    Hoses, no problems.
    Little odds and ends of hardware.
    Castors, wheels.
    Scissors.
    and the most important tool in my arsenal, a tweezers with a built on magnifier, something I use constantly.(on sale when I purchased it for 99 cents)
    I look foward to it opening, so I hope its true.

Maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule, but I've never had anything but great luck with everything I've bought from Harbor Freight!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Harbor freight

Allen - I buy a lot of the same type of items you mentioned from Harbor freight. In fact I have a small drill press I got from them maybe 8 or 10 years ago for less than $40, maybe less than $30, that I have used a lot and it still works fine.

They have a dandy flush cut saw, made in Japan, that sells for $10, and sometimes $5 on sale.

Like Allen said, some good stuff, and lots of interesting stuff, but no heirlooms.

I wish I had one 8 minutes from the house. Must be nice!

I just bought a 2 quart pressure pot and spray gun from them for 30 something bucks and just love it to death. Finishing goes much faster now and I use less material now.

It is hit or miss with some of there tools but like you said you need to decide on how long you plan on using it for to decide if it's woth it.