Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little glass cabinet

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Little glass cabinet

As part of the furnishing I am making for the church they need a cabinet to display 3 glass bottle that will contain Oil that is used for anointing for Baptisms, confirmation anointing of the sick. This is what I have so far. It is Made of 5 panels the three on the front are 7"x20",6"x20" and 7" x 20". The 2 side panels are 8x20. Tomarrow I'll take the panel down to a local glass shop to have the glass cut for them and a shelf that will go inside. The cabinet is called an Ambry if anyone cares.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1699.JPG  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Interesting! Are any of the panels going to be hinged? I never would have guessed the name for that type of cabinet in a million years.

the front center panel will be hinged. I believe the name is greEk or something like that
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, I am always interested and very happy to watch the work you are doing, especially the church furniture. Don't stop posting it. To the name, would never have known it, probably won't remember it, but can see what its use is. I was surprised to hear you say only one panel hinges. I would have guessed each panel opens so the correct bottle could be taken out without moving the other bottle. A style, either behind the panel or between the panels would allow all three to independently open. Magnetic latch? Lighted?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Don, I am always interested and very happy to watch the work you are doing, especially the church furniture. Don't stop posting it. To the name, would never have known it, probably won't remember it, but can see what its use is. I was surprised to hear you say only one panel hinges. I would have guessed each panel opens so the correct bottle could be taken out without moving the other bottle. A style, either behind the panel or between the panels would allow all three to independently open. Magnetic latch? Lighted?
    I figer magnetic catch

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Don, I am always interested and very happy to watch the work you are doing
    I post some of these projects to encourage others to post what they are working on this is after all a wood working forum and I see to few project pictures posted. I say this so that I can try to encourage others to post what they are working on. After all we can all learn from each other in this craft we have choosen.

Is this another project for the same church ?
    Are you charging for this? It looks beautiful so far.
    I also like your corner clamps
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Hi Don,

Looks nice so far. Couple of questions.

How did you make the arches?

Did you use m&t, dowels, biscuits, or pocket screws to attached the rails and stiles?

What wood is that?

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Is this another project for the same church ?

Yes

Are you charging for this?

Yes

It looks beautiful so far.
    I also like your corner clamps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Antonacchio View Post
    Hi Don,

Looks nice so far. Couple of questions.

How did you make the arches?
    Pattern Bit and router

Did you use m&t, dowels, biscuits, or pocket screws to attached the rails and stiles?
    M/T

What wood is that?
    Maple

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio
    answers in blue

Beautiful job Don. You need to write a book on building church furniture, you seem to be the expert in the field. Are you building the furniture from standard dimensions or does the church provide the specs? Just curious.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault