Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planer and Jointer Economics

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Planer and Jointer Economics

For a current project, I bought rough lumber and paid to have the lumber yard mill it to S4S. I paid $0.16/l.f. (or a couple hundred$) and I also had them mill trim to exact specs (another couple hundred$).

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that after one more performance like this, I might as well buy a planer and buy rough lumber.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you absolutely positively need a jointer too? Is there an easy reliable way to make one straight side without a jointer?

2. How much am I going to have to spend to get a decent planer (stand-alone)?

AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Cynthia, first of all yes you can get buy without a jointer. For face joining you can do it with the planer and a sled that you can make, several here have made it and it works quite well. for edge joining that can be done on a table saw, I recently showed a simple way of doing that, there a thread in the fistures and jigs portion of this forum.

Now for your next question , I have a "portable" planer if you can call it that. It is a DeWalt DW 735 and is without a doubt the best in it's class, It's not cheap, it is the most expensive "lunch box" planer but IMHO can't be beat, If I had the room I get a 15" something like a shop for or a Grizz but my shop is only 10'x20 ' so that what I live with. There are less expensive planers out there but after using my 735 on the build I just finished I wouldn't trade it for any other in it's class.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Depends on what your looking for. I have the Ridgid TP13000. I've had it for about 6 or 7 years and never had a problem with it. On my kitchen build I tried a planer sled for the first time to keep the boards wide and aviod ripping them down to joint them and then glue them back up. There was a small learning curve to using the planer sled.

As for jointing on a tablesaw it can be done but it depends on what you will accept for the glue joint. I've used the glue line ripm blades but they don't compare to what a jointer will give you. I watched a guy at work trying to get an acceptable glue joint from one of those blades. He was still messing with the boards while I made two swipes on the jointer and had my panel glued up.

There are always more than one way to do things. Some ways are easier than others and it depends on what your willing to accept for the final product. I bought my jointer and planer for the same reason your talking about. Why pay them everytime when after a job or two you could have bought a planer and jointer and now have more control over the straigthnees and final thickness of your material.

I'm looking to upgrade my planer to the one Glenn just bought from Grizzly.

North West Indiana
    Dang gone, you two, Cynthia and Alan couldn't be close for this to be an easy deal, her buy your planer so you could upgrade. Cynthia, I have planed many many rough cut boards on my DeWalt planer. You can see pictures of it in my shop build thread. It is a work horse. Used it when my daughters and I added a two story addition onto our home. We made our own knotty pine horizontal shiplap siding for their bedrooms. Also made a dividing wall between their rooms out of 2X6's that we made shelves and half the wall in one room, the other half of the wall shelves for the other room. Put on our ear muffs from shooting, set it up outside and go to it. It is a quite satisfying job as you get to know each board and see it reveal itself to you. I find myself sorting boards as I plane either because I like or dislike it. Better ones at eye level, others lower or higher. It is for me, just another way to interact with the wood and project, yep, high up front cost, but it cost me nothing when I am not using it, it sits and is patient waiting for the next project. My jointer is a HF version and does a decent job.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Amherst, New Hampshire
    It really depends on how often you are going to use them.
    I only buy rough boards. The planer and jointer are indispensable to me.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

ABQ NM
    I could get by without a jointer easier than I could without a planer. I get glue-ready edge joints from my tablesaw. (Haven't tried the Glue Line Rip blade...don't recall which red Freud thin kerf rip blade I'm using.) Tod Evans (one of our resident pros) doesn't even own a jointer.

The DeWalt 735 is indeed probably the best in its class. There are several other decent lunchbox planers out there, but the DeWalt has many, many favorable reviews. The best price I've seen recently is about $480 to $500 for a refurbished one, and around $600 for a brand new one.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Escondido, CA
    +++ on the Dewalt planer.

When I needed to replace the blades with freshly sharpened ones, I found it to be the easiest thing I had ever done. No futzing around like with the jointer.

When I got mine (eons ago) it came with a second set of knives. Saved my bacon. Put those in when I sent out the original set for sharpening. No down time, and I sure didn't have time for down time at that point in the construction.

Highly recommended before buying the jointer. It will pay for itself very quickly.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    I would love to do a side by side challenge of the Grizzly G0505, what I have, against the DeWalt.
    I am real happy with the Griz. IMHO, it is a real workin' hoss and at a very reasonable price.
    I didn't really understand what a jointer would do for me. But, when I bought my oldie but goodie used Delta for $50.00 I found out quickly. I don't do a lot of flatwork but what I do was changed from 'sorta OK' to good with the use of the jointer.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Salt Spring Island, BC Canada
    I was always taught to joint one edge and a face before runniung it through the thickness planer that way you have trued up the one face and edge. The jointer can give a true 90 degree edge between the face and edge and the planer will copy that on the other face and edge when run through the planer. Like anything starting from a good foundation is the best way to go about things. I have both the jointer and planer. Grizzly jointer ( on sale now)
    And the Dewalt 735 Planer ( gift from LOML) I will be getting a floor mount heavy duty planer but the dewalt does the job for now though I do find it struggles with certain hardwood boards.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    I was always taught to joint one edge and a face before runniung it through the thickness planer that way you have trued up the one face and edge.
    Just an observation. I used to do one face and one edge as well. I have become more conscientious of grain direction. Often the direction that is good for the face feed leaves you a reference surface that makes your feed direction for the edge you "want" to start with not so good. I have changed to:
    - Joint face
    - Plane to parallel (not necessarily to thickness)
    - Joint edge using either face as desired
    - carry on . . . this is a preference, not a right or wrong sort of thing for me.

P.s. Like Bob and others, I square EVERYTHING myself so the jointer (used to be the planer and sled) is the first tool used after hacking big boards into usable sizes.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke