Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooring question

Flooring question

Well my kitchen is down to the bare walls and floors, getting set to level up a low spot prepping to start the hard wood floor tomorrow morning. Decide to lay out a couple rows of flooring to aid in my visual on levelness. Then at the bottom of the box of flooring is the instructions so I take a look at them and there are the words I did NOT want to see....."DO NOT INSTALL OVER PRESSED WOOD OR FIBERBOARD" OK my sub floors are MDF ie: Fiberboard So what is next? Pull the entire floor up and put down T & G plywood? Put plywood over existing floor? Can I put hardwood over the MDF? Man I knew something would come up but.............DANG! So lay on the ideas, suggestions, Etc.

Thanks all

Tom

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    This seems to contradict what you just read....

"Then attach ¾-inch plywood or OSB (oriented stranded board) to the “joists” with 1-5/8-inch drywall screws for a tight, secure fit. Hardwood flooring can then be installed over the new subfloor using staples or nails, depending on the manufacture’s requirements."

Read more at Suite101: Wood Flooring: Benefits and Limitations: Some Flooring Types Work Better in Certain Areas than Others http://www.suite101.com/content/wood...#ixzz11QkOexMH
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I have never heard of not laying wood flooring over osb flooring. Over 80% of the new homes going up around here use osb sub floors and hardwood flooring goes right over it. I have installed many floors over the past 15 years and never had one persone complain of problems. The only time there might be a issue is if the floor been soaked by water. This will cuase issues with nails holding. This is why staples(extra length) come in handy.

Thanks Don and Al and your both correct. OSB is one of the acceptable sub floors on their sheet but my sub floor is MDF, wood burger, poor/no nail holding.
    Well after stewing all night I have decided the MDF needs to go I have a laser level coming later today so when the MDF is removed I will level the floor and put a new sub floor down of either ply or OSB. Sure was hoping to be laying hard wood today.

Tom, Never seen MDF used for sub floor. If you are going thru the steps to replace it, then maybe you can shoot a line once the flooring is off and level the joist. Then when the sub floor goes back down it will be flat. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    Tom, Never seen MDF used for sub floor. If you are going thru the steps to replace it, then maybe you can shoot a line once the flooring is off and level the joist. Then when the sub floor goes back down it will be flat. Have fun.
    Its most likely particle board Al, but hamburger just the same. It's half gone and crumbled in many places when pulling. Remove and replace was definitely the correct way Man this kind of physical labor wasn't made for fat, out of shape, old boys like me

I install vinyl tiles over a chip board and found out the hard way how many HIGH SPOTS the sub flooring had

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Its most likely particle board Al, but hamburger just the same. It's half gone and crumbled in many places when pulling. Remove and replace was definitely the correct way Man this kind of physical labor wasn't made for fat, out of shape, old boys like me
    I don't envy you Tom...I'm hoping to walk upright again this week after putting down flooring last weekend. You've probably got two layers of particle board as it was used for quite a while for sub flooring, usually two sheets thick.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

SLC

I also have done this and it is just not fun. One thing to remeber, even after you put in a new sub floor is you may still have some areas that you want more level. HD carries self leveling compounds for wood and concrete.

Good fortune

JIM

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Tom years ago we would use partical board for sub floors, but we would always put 1/2 ply first. so i'm guessing you will find ether 1 bys under that PB or 1/2 or 5/8 ply under it.
    Now if i was doing this i would use sturdy floor in place of that PB.Check the thickness of a piece of the stuff you take out, if you can find a spot that ain't bad and get your self the same thickness sturdy floor. Sturdy floor is nothin but a good quilty ply made just for a 2 floor system. Just ask at your dealer and they should know what your talking about.
    As i've never built anything in MI they might call it something else like ac ply or the like but it's the same thing. I've built homes in NY,PA,KY, TN, TX,and NM and in all them states we called it sturdyfloor. Hope this helped and if i could i'd come on over and do it for ya for free.
    Steve