Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: evil spinny project...finished!

evil spinny project...finished!

on sunday, my brothers shanghi'd me to with them to a local swap meet and car show. both for my usefulness as comic relief, and as a pack animal (carried a 57 chevy gas tank 6 blocks). they bought me a foot long hot dog, so we're even. well, while we were walking about (about 6 miles that morning), while they were looking for parts for their cars, i spotted an evil spinny project in the making. there, laying on the ground, were a bunch of ford model t wheels (sorry larry, no tires). then it hit me, i had always wanted to turn the spokes for one of those wheels. so, with great regret, i parted with $10, and acquired the wheel. today i had my dad and i ground off the peened over (smashed all to heck really) ends of the carriage bolts, turned off the square (yes larry, that thing with 4 corners) nuts, popped out the bolts, and pounded out the cover plate from the outer side, and the hub out the other end. the hub finally came out once i had removed a couple of the spokes. it was then that i realized that i didn't have the camera along. i did stop by a little bit ago, and got some pics of the parts. my other brother is going to sandblast the rim and hub parts for me. i am going to take the measurements, and turn the spokes (now i have to find some really thick hickory turning blanks), and when all is reassembled, say it with krylon (black, as varnished spokes were not a production item). well, here are the pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rim and spokes.JPG   hub and backer plate.JPG   tenon hole in rim detail.JPG   spokes laid out.JPG   detail of hub are of spokes.JPG  

spoke top.JPG   spoke side.JPG  
    Last edited by Dan Noren; 11-12-2010 at 01:40 AM.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    hmmm I wonder if those were turned or done with a spokes shave...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Wait a minute...a hot dog You didn't hold out for a sticky bun
    I'm sorry...I can't participate in this lack of commitment anymore
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

don - they are turned, as there is a stub tenon on the end. these are production spokes, and doing them by hand would have been too time intense, as ford was running 3 shifts turning out model t's. it looks like they just had the angle cut on the blank, mounted in a lathe, a few passes to the finished diameter, and the tenon made.

jim - all the stand had was hot dogs. not too worried though, my brother is going to sandblast the metal parts for me for free, so it evens out somewhat.
    benedictione omnes bene

Did you only get one Dan, why not 4 then you could have sold them at the end of it. What you gonna do with one wheel?

Cool project. Friend of mine is a car buff and he has a model T hanging on the wall. He told me there are sites where you can still buy all the parts and build your own. I said to him "Only in America"
    cheers

it will be more of a decoration than functional wheel. if your friend wants to have it for a decoration in his garage, i'll sell it to him cheap...
    benedictione omnes bene

That looks like a fun project. Love doing things like that. The closest I have come is making a little ship's wheel for a small sail boat I wanted to make. When I did it I wasn't turning so I used a router to shape the spokes. Now I want to do another one using the lathe.
    "We the People ......"

You took apart a good wheel to make a good wheel?
    Did you buy a junk wheel to make it a good wheel so you have a pair?
    Interesting, will follow your journey.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

jon, ya need to put on the cheaters and take another look at the pics. the metal parts are rusted pretty good, and the spokes are so dry rotted i don't know what's holding them together....
    benedictione omnes bene

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Rob: He's making a spare wheel to put in the back.