Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench top planers

Bench top planers

As I am stating up a new wood shop I am looking to buy a bench top planer. I have looked at several and was looking for some opinions others may have on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thomas,
    First of all welcome to the Family.
    I have the Delta 735 and think it is great. I just planned some 4/8 white oak that was 9 feet Long and am very impressed. I know that there are other planers around but IMHO for the money this is a great tool. I am sure others will give other recommendations.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I have had the Ridgid lunch box for almost three years. it has done a great job for me.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Thomas,
    First of all welcome to the Family.
    I have the Delta 735 and think it is great...
    Uh, Don...did you mean the DeWalt 735? I know a lot of guys have that one and really like it.

Thomas, I've got the bottom of the barrel Delta TP305 Snipemaster, but all things considered, it's served my purposes. I wouldn't want to use it for any serious production work, but the occasional few boards have not been a problem. (I buy most of my wood already surfaced.) It doesn't have any dust collection capabilities out of the box, but I'm working on adapting the hood from a different Delta planer to work on mine. If it's in the budget, you'll likely be happier with something like the DeWalt or upper-level Delta. I've also heard good things about the Ridgid that Don Taylor has.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have the Makita 2030S, which is actually a combo machine, has the small jointer attached to the side, but since I got the Large jointer, I don't use the small one.

This planer is great, I get "Zero" snipe, and I think the main reason why is the design, the head does NOT move, the table does.

I think whatever you get, they are all getting fairly good.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I have the Grizzly G0505 http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0505
    and am very happy with it. Several features that make it stand out from others in it's price/size range. Power, speed, 1/8" thick blades (compared to 1/16" for many others). It's a working hoss and I find very handy in the shop. It turns scrap into usable wood and I can sometimes buy inexpensive wood and plane down to what I need. Comes out almost not needing sanding.

Being an old iron fan I naturally have a old planner. Before I got this one restored, I had..... well still have, my FIL's Grizzly lunch box planner and must say I am impressed with it. It will snipe some but I learned how to get around that and I am sure a longer accessory table would fix most of that.

While I prefer my PM, there are a couple of things I liked better about the Grizzly and I would expect these are typical for most of this style of planner.
    • The feed rate is faster. Probably because the cutter head spins faster than mine, so it can feed stock in faster.
    • But that come at the price of a screaming universal motor, much like a router.
    • The newer design cutter heads are much simpler to adjust the knifes on too.

All in all, I think they do a might good job for their size and weight.

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

thomas, first welcome to family woodworking!
    are you looking for a benchtop to save space or money? if space is the primary issue then listen to the folks who own and use the benchtops, but if you`re looking to save money look to the used market for an older model 12-15" stationary unit....you`ll be leaps-n-bounds ahead as far as quality and noise are conserned.......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I have the DeWalt 735 and really like it for a lunch box planner. It is very loud but does a good job. If you decide on a 735 one word of caution. Make sure that the serial number is greater than 200440 or you will need to take it in for a "fix". I don't think that should be a problem as those were last years numbers but someone could have a hold over unit.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    I have the DeWalt 735 and really like it for a lunch box planner. It is very loud but does a good job. If you decide on a 735 one word of caution. Make sure that the serial number is greater than 200440 or you will need to take it in for a "fix". I don't think that should be a problem as those were last years numbers but someone could have a hold over unit.
    I didn't know that. Mine 220621 so I guess I'm good to go.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward