A convergence of handtool heavyweights!

Bill Satko

The Port Townsend School of Woodworking sent me an early preview of their 2011 class schedule. Take a look at what they have planned for September:

September 5 - 6 Working with Hand Saws Christopher Schwarz
September 7 - 9 Handplanes Christopher Schwarz
September 9 - 11 Wooden Boat Festival
September 12 - 13 Decorative Details Garrett Hack
September 14 - 16 Precision with Hand Tools Garret Hack
September 19 - 23 Build a Side Table*Garrett Hack

They also indicate that they are planning some other hand tool events around the coming of Schwarz & Hack.

I will be signing up for another round with Garrett and I may set aside some time (& money) for a class with Christopher Schwarz. If anyone wants to combine a vacation to the beautiful Pacific Northwest and some classes this would be great time to do it. It would be nice to get some Family members together for something like this. Fort Worden (where the school is) has some very inexpensive housing and it could be like Larry Merlau's Tour De-Wood without the tour, just Family have a great time while taking a class with some real woodworking talent.

Maybe we could convince some a certain Catalan to attend. I am curious as to which Family member will be the first to understand who I am talking about. Respond if you know.

Here is the link to the full tentative schedule of the 2011 classes.

http://www.ptwoodschool.com/sneakpeek2011.html

Boy that is sure tempting :rolleyes: :D

I wonder if I could get a two weeks off work, swing by the grandparents in Canada, visit them and #1 daughter and then take the long way home..... :)

Nice to dream about it!

I'd consider it, Bill, provided I could bring my dogs across the border (never tried it), and I can find my passport....:eek:....that's not far for me. If I couldn't come, maybe you could bring the posse up my way for a home-cooked meal and some woodworking classes at my house :D (I'll be the student). Lots of room to camp out at my place.:thumb:

Bill, looks like one needs to rent a house for the whole month of September.:D I could easily attend every one of those events from an interest point of view. Thanks for the early heads up. Will put it in the back of my head to think on.:thumb:

Boy that is sure tempting :rolleyes: :D

I wonder if I could get a two weeks off work, swing by the grandparents in Canada, visit them and #1 daughter and then take the long way home..... :)

Nice to dream about it!

I know that Garrett would love to see you again.

Bill, looks like one needs to rent a house for the whole month of September.:D I could easily attend every one of those events from an interest point of view. Thanks for the early heads up. Will put it in the back of my head to think on.:thumb:

I know how you feel Rob. What classes to choose? If there is some interest, I could do some calculating and work up the estimated shared costs for one week of lodging, food and etc for a couple scenarios of participates (group of 4, 6 or ?). Combine that with class fee's, transportation and your own personal beer consumption rate (not included in the etc.) and you can calculate the costs. Oh, don't forgot to calculate the priceless experience of having the time of your life.

Hmmm, fly up, take a class, rent a truck, buy a bunch of wood and drive home . . . . hmmmm.

Hate to tell you Glenn, but one of the best hardwood suppliers in the Northwest (Edensaw's) is in Port Townsend. Row after row of hardwood stacked to the ceiling in a giant warehouse. They even have entire log sections sliced and stacked as they came off the tree. Bring a big truck.