Facebook apology

I see positive uses for it, like those of you with loved ones over seas. But it's not my thing. I get emails, generally from one dog show related person that I really don't care for :p , to join her at several of these things like facebook. Thought she would get the hint after not joining her groups after the 4th request. :dunno::huh::dunno::huh: I have very little time to get to the shop, I don't need to get hooked into something else. Jim.

although I havent looked at the fb account I set up a while back, I just did it to find out where my kindergarten was so I could tell her how ticked off I still am at her for making a big scene in front of the entire class when I peed in my pants because she told me to hold it in and wait a few minutes.

I was all about not wanting to have anything to do with facebook, then a good friend, maybe the best friend I have in the world got deployed to Iraq. He got on FB as the only reliable way to communicate with friends and family back home, so I too signed up.

I agree I don't want to hear what you had for lunch, especially as I'm trying to avoid all them fattening eats :rolleyes: :D but I too have been able to reconnect with some friends that I had lost touch with. Maybe it is also part of living in Japan so very far away from family and old friends :dunno:

I, like Steve, learned how to block out the Farmville stuff, if that turns your crank, good for you, but it is really not my thing :)

Just the other day I was able to have a short chat with Tony over in Hawaii, that was very nice, got caught up a bit, I like that feature too.

For keeping in touch with our daughter in Canada, and my folks, we use e-mail and Skype twice a week, we talked today for about 1 1/2 hours, it was great, we can hear their voices and see their smiling faces.

I do think that FB has it perils, but I too feel they are far outweighed by the positives, but you do have to learn how to use it.

Cheers! :wave:

No worries Frank!

I'm probably more on Rennies camp with FB. I like it. I must be lucky because most of my FB Friends post things that amuse me, and very few post more than once in a while. I ignore all the "Game" stuff, because that can get quite annoying.

I've managed to get in touch with some old friends I haven't talked to in years, and keep in touch with work friends that no longer work at my company.

Just like different forums, not everything out there is everyone's cup of tea! I say do what you want with who you want and don't worry about the rest! :thumb:

If all it does is keep me in contact with nephews, nieces and siblings, then it is an OK thing. I will reduce my overall friends (currently about 100) to a dull roar over time because for some I can't stand their constant political rants (keep it to your blogs), or really am not their friend, but felt obligated to accept.

Sometimes I just want to completely drop off the face of the interwebs world because it seems the more personal we've become the more impersonal we've become :wave::wave:

If all it does is keep me in contact with nephews, nieces and siblings, then it is an OK thing. I will reduce my overall friends (currently about 100) to a dull roar over time because for some I can't stand their constant political rants (keep it to your blogs), or really am not their friend, but felt obligated to accept.

Sometimes I just want to completely drop off the face of the interwebs world because it seems the more personal we've become the more impersonal we've become :wave::wave:

I don't know if you have used the "Hide" function at all. But it hides all thier posts without dropping them as a friend. Then if some emergency or illness pops up you can just unhide them..
Garry

Trust me, there's one friend of ours I've got on 'hide' and I keep trying to talk her into using it on him.

I'm beginning to think that sometimes she just likes to be agitated :bounce:

:rofl:

I consider Facebook another tool to use when it is needed. Everyone does not need/use the same tools - so some have no need for Facebook. I used to have a website for family communications and photo postings, but Facebook did it better, so I switched.

I started out using facebook as a social tool, but then made the mistake/choice of playing the Mafia Wars game. I enjoy the distraction of MW, but it loads up my wall with postings from all my mafia buddies and makes the family social aspect almost impossible. Farmville probably has the same effect :dunno:

So, my wife opened an account to handle the family interaction and I use my account for the game. Just a matter of how to use the tools...:type:

Skype is another tool. I don't use the phone aspect, but I have a weekly 3-way video chat with my kids that works pretty well. If the kids lived close by, I probably would not need the tool, but making the best of things as I can.

I don't use it a lot myself, probably get on once or twice a week, but don't post that often. It's one of the few ways I get updates on most of my extended family and HS friends that I never kept in touch with, but been nice seeing what they are doing and what they've done with their lives. I get to see pics of my nephews that aren't in the area. I've also got several of you as friends (which I do consider you) and enjoy seeing your projects and what's going on in your lives from that side as well.

I've also found it good to get in on the special sales from places like Sutherlands and coupons that you don't get in the mail from food places.