Thread: before and after knives

Mountain Home, Arkansas

before and after knives

I was digging through my knife and found these disasters. I made these years ago before I had any tools to speak of. Decided they could be improved on a little. The top one in the "before" shot is a boot knife I carried clipped inside my cowboy boots for years. The rest fall in the classification of 'usin' knives. All pretty poorly done. A little time with the belt sanders and they have been improved upon a little.
    Now, I need to go back to photography school. These pics are awful. Oh, well.
    BTW, in the "finished" pic, the belt knife was dipped in dark poly stain. The second from top is Cocobolo and antler. I just wiped it with mineral oil. The last two are maple and I tossed those in the stabilizing pot with some other wood I was doing a stable on. Other than that, no finish on these two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails before knives.jpg   finished knives.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Pretty cool knives Frank I like the little boot knife
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Outside the beltway
    Frank I like'um , The oak with brass brads is a good skinner. I have a few of them. Good steel.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::

ABQ NM
    Nice upgrade on all of them, Frank. Funny what time, experience, and better tools can do, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Now you've given them 25 years more of life, they look great and happy. That's what I like about restoring any tool, (knives are tools after all).
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...