Thread: Buying Stain Etc.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Buying Stain Etc.

Hi all:

I'd like to start making some small finishing samples for my bookcase project. I've been to several local places and found--not much--very little stain and wood finishing products to choose from. I'm looking a (light) "pickled" or "limed" or white-washed (as long as you can see the grain) finish. The wood is Ash.

1. So where should I go for a big selection? I'm on Vancouver Island (Canada), or can I buy online?

2. What do the experts recommend I use? I'm assuming some kind of stain then some kind of clear finish coat?

Keep in mind I'm a beginner--zero finishing experience--so tell me in little words

Thanks all,
    Cynthia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Go to windsor plywood in Courtney Cynthia I think they have a pretty good selection of stains. I like the watco stains for lots of the stuff I do but I am not set on using just that.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Do some homework on http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/

Jeff is considered one of the best finishing guru's around and he will answer all your questions about what it is that you want. His site is suburb.

Go armed with information or you are likely to come back with some other guy's idea of what you need.

Mohawk and Minwax both have a white wash product ready to use. I like to take a white sealer thin with the solvent for that product and apply finish clear coat.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Try your local apint suppleir. They should carry stains. Around here Sherwin stores carry a good selection of stains and are real good at mixing stains.