Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats up with rolling tool carts and prices?

whats up with rolling tool carts and prices?

What makes a rolling tool cart worth 8000 dollars?
    Does it boost the owners ego?
    I bought a cart used for 200 bucks from a guy who rebuilds old autos for fun, sports cars, and he said hes never paid more than 600 dollars for a tool box.(maybe he told me 800, but it wasnt more than a thousand)
    He sold me his old sears cart
    Ive also seen some of the most talented craftsmen/mechanics I know use old paint buckets to hold their very expensive top of the line hand tools.
    Are tool carts as addicting as tools?
    But 6, 7 grand? Wow.
    I see guys posting on craigs list, used carts that look banged up, and they are asking 3 -4 thousand saying they paid 6 or 7 new. Its a 4 foot tool cart that is waist high with 14 drawers or so. Is it lined with gold? How much could a good ball bearing slide cost?
    Last edited by allen levine; 10-07-2010 at 03:52 AM.

I can see where guys get hung up on them. I only have one of the cheap larger HF tool box stacks. I'd like to have 5 more of them just to organize all the stuff I have from A to Z. Have had good luck with it and could buy the other 5 for what some guys pay for just one.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

The neighbor across the street use to be a Snap-On tool salesman. He's got a huge Snap-On anniversary edition tool chest, painted in '50s era T-bird turquoise with black pinstriping and an airbrushed painting (probably a decal) on the inside of the lid. I don't remember what he said the retail price of it was, but he said the only reason he owned his was because he got it at a deep discount. Still, apparently there are some guys who are willing to fork out the cash for things like a fancy toolbox.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

my son in law is a diesel mechanic. His snap on tool box cost him over $5000. Why ????????????
    Seems pretty crazy to me.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I agree it's crazy to spend several thousand, but if your opening the drawers 5-6 days a week , 100 or more times a day you need something better than the Craftsman I have. Mine is a 2 years old(?) and I have a draw slide that is already sticking sometimes. I can image everyday use by a mechanic would have worn it out by now.

But how is this any different than woodworkers with a garage full of 'upgraded' tools they barely use?
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

It might not be that much different if a garage woodworker would purchase a 6000 dollar machine and let it sit without using it.
    I just dont see any point to it.

I agree Allen, on both points. I see a LOT of spending that I don't understand or agree with. A lot wood butchers have a lot of expensive tools they rarely use. Probably totals up pretty close.

But it is not my money.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 10-07-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

do the 5000$ price include all of the hand tools
    I forgot to ask my doctor what his tool box-cabinet cost

If you use a tool box for a living it's a little different than your home garage. Most of the industrial duty boxes like that you can stand in adrawer and not hurt it. When you open the drawers 50x a day too, you need a lot heavier duty box to hold up through the years.

I work in a steel mill and we have some pretty big equipment and tools. It's not uncommon to have 40 lb wrenches to install something. Socket sets go up to to 5", some impacts probalby weigh 100 lbs each. Most of the mechanics out here have $5-10k tool boxes (box alone, no tools). I've seen some people get the $500-1000 sears type boxes and they're usually garbage in a couple years.

So yeah there's a real reason for them and a market for heavy duty roll arounds. I don't think many people need them at home, but if it makes you happy and you got the money, why not. As for the price, it's a mixture of better materials and a much smaller production quantity.

I so lucked out a couple of years ago. The company I work for auctioned off their "old" tool boxes. I placed two bids on two boxes and got them both for $50! You can put a truck on these boxes and not scratch them.

Our mechanics and techs put very heavy tools in them and the one's I bought required a pick-up to get home. I painted them up and now my sons are fighting over who gets which one when I die.

As in most things in life, you get what you pay for - and I paid $50!
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.