Thread: DW733

DW733

Was thinking about putting a new bed that would be all one piece about 4ft. long,made from melamine. Do you think this would do a better job when thickness plaining,that would have less chance of snipe? I know it would throw off my gauge but only by 3/4"
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    ron, I don't know about the 733 but I know that for my 735 DW offers extension wings for the infeed and outfeed sides. In answer to your question yes it would help.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I have something like this on my DW734 I use when planing thin stock. I don't use it instead of the stock tables and extra stock support (if required). With the stock tables adjusted high at the outer ends and physical control of the stock (controlled infeed and release at the outfeed) I get no snipe.

With a straight edge laid through the machine and resting on the outer edges of the tables, there is a gap of about 1/8" between the straight edge and the platen at the cutterhead position. This may seem excessive but at this point of adjustment, my snipe on boards 20"-plus in length, went away. Roller stands or other forms of support are required for longer stock, of course. This is just my experience, not a rule ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have something like this on my DW734 I use when planing thin stock. I don't use it instead of the stock tables and extra stock support (if required). With the stock tables adjusted high at the outer ends and physical control of the stock (controlled infeed and release at the outfeed) I get no snipe.

With a straight edge laid through the machine and resting on the outer edges of the tables, there is a gap of about 1/8" between the straight edge and the platen at the cutterhead position. This may seem excessive but at this point of adjustment, my snipe on boards 20"-plus in length, went away. Roller stands or other forms of support are required for longer stock, of course. This is just my experience, not a rule ;-)

Same here. With the out and infeed tables adjusted on my 733 and a sturdy roller stand my problems with snipe went away.
    I learned how to do it in either wood magazine or woodworkers journal. But it is basically just how Glenn described.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thanks guys,I have used the straght edge and a-lined the infeed and out feed tables, also had the knives re-sharpened. Now most all snipe has dissapeared!
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

The bed won't 'eliminate' all the snipe, but it will be consistent... which was my biggest gripe about those extension tables. I never knew what I was going to get. I've had melamine through my 733 for years and years now. Never have to do any waxing either.