Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tempered glass?

Question Tempered glass?

I have never made cabinet doors with glass in them. I am now getting ready to make some and thinking temperd glass would be a nobrainer. For those who make cabinets, what do you use?

Al

If I remember right Tempered glass has to be cut to size & then tempered. I don't remember ever seeing tempered glass in cabinet doors. I won't say it has never been done.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    All the glass I just got for the cabinet I'm building is just 1/8" thick rugular glass. The glass shop say's thats all they supply.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I've used tempered glass if the doors were in a lower cabinet and regular glass if in something like a wall cabinet. To me anything that is 36" or less in height and has glass doors should be using tempered glass.

Courtenay/Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, BC
    Hi Al,
    Generally, non-tempered, (annealed), glass is used in cabinet dooors as doesn't normally have to resist impacts or support heavy loads. And once glass is tempered, it can't be re-cut or have edgework done or holes drilled in it. Also, cost is at least 75% more.

Cheers,
    Brian, (Cynthia White's husband and recovering commercial glass company owner).

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    hey Brian, welcome and thanks for the input.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks. Now i dont have to worry about ordering it.

Hi,

When I put display cabinets in my optical shop I used tempered glass. However, the hinges, catches, etc. were mounted directly to the glass. Yes the cost was more.

Tempered glass was used back in the "Good Old Days" (Good old days is the synonym for bad memory). Glasses were considered unsafe if a lens had a chip or even a minor scratch. Tests showed that scratched tempered glass spectacle lenses would break easier than non-tempered lenses.

None of the cabinets in my home, or any previous home, had tempered glass.

I know that didn't tell you much, but my two-cents worth isn't worth much today.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Tempered glass?

Hey Brian, welcome to the family.

I have to interject some info to contradict your saying that "once glass is tempered, it can't be re-cut or have edgework done or holes drilled in it."

When I was in the Kustom car business, we had to cut tempered glass sidelites and backlites to fit a chopped (lowered) roofline. Our method was to mask our cut line, perhaps 1/8" wide with a rubber sheet masking, and sandblast the line. Blasting fairly slowly so there was not much heat created, and the job was done.

I even blasted tempered glass wirh designs of varying depths for 3D looks. (Haven't done that in a while though)

Sorry for the hijack.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

This has been an informative read. Thanks all. I learned something. Let's see, in the responce department, Brian-welcome to the family and thanks for the information. Good to see you hanging out again Al, Toni-have had some kids do the sandblast thing making designs, pictures and such on their car windows and on drinking glasses. Never thought about using it to create a "cut" line.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING