A Cutting Board for Mary

Dan Larson

Since there have been a few cutting boards posted here recently, I thought I might show one of mine.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
This one I made for my mother-in-law who is fascinated by exotic woods... I used sheuda, panga-panga, and ebony for this project. I experimented for quite a while with scrap wood to find the right finish to use. Every oil based finish that I tried turned the sheuda into a lifeless black mess. A tip from a fellow woodworker got me to look into wax finishes. I ended up going with just a good coat of plain old beeswax. Thanks for looking.

Dan

Great looking item of woodcrafting. :thumb: I don't understand the thingamawhatizit on the side. :huh:
Instead of finishing, since it is a cutting board, you might consider leaving plain or just rubbing with oil. Many like mineral oil, my preference is olive.

Wow! Way to bring it to the next level, Dan! Outstanding! Love the book matched sequence.

I used dometic wood and they took the mineral oil as expected. Interesting that the oil reacted poorly with the exotics. I also finish my boards with a coat of melted pure beeswax, then buffed. Adds a little more protection by sealing the grain.

I'm curious how much maintenace the exotics will require.

Any idea how long a typical beeswax finish would last?

Again...nice job! :thumb:

Matt

Very nice, Dan. The main body of the board is very cool, and I like the "handle" detail.

I'm another mineral oil proponent. I prefer it over olive oil (or any of the food oils) since it won't go rancid over time. In my dry climate, olive oil gets stanky within about a month or so of exposure to air.

Wow now that is a nice cutting board. Nicely done. I like either mineral oil or walnut oil. I have did several bowls we use in the kitchen with walnut oil and it is holding up nicely.

That's really nice Dan. I don't think I'd be able to put a knife to that one. It's to purdy. :thumb:

Don

Thanks so much for the kind words. Realistically, I don't expect that this cutting board will see much use... my mother-in-law tends to "save" things that she likes. It probably will be displayed somewhere on a shelf. Although it would have been nice to see it get used for its intended purpose, I guess the important thing is that the gift made her happy.