Teeny Progress in the Shop

First, for those reading who aren't interested in a beginner's progress, don't read this thread.

For those interested, this is what's going on in my shop:

shop2oct92010.jpg

shop1oct92010.jpg

shop3oct92010.jpg

It's a mess because I have no shelves or any place to put anything, so the first order of business is to build a table and then a counter and some shelf space so I can put away some things. :eek:

So the beginnings of a table top are seen to the left. Notice the step stool because I'm not tall enough to screw it together. Notice the shim in photo 2 because I cut one board too short. :D The table will be 4' X 8', the size of a sheet of plywood, and big enough so I can put a whole bookcase on it to work on.

Today I learned how to use the new drill that I bought for LOML last Xmas. I didn't strip any bits or screws. For those who notice all that nice wood and sheet goods on the left, no, it is not sitting on the ground, but stacked neatly on lots of boards.

My old dog insisted on being with me, so I brought in a camping cot and blanket for him. He's functionally deaf, so he doesn't need hearing protection.

For those beginner woodworker lurkers, :peek: I urge you to register and join in. Beginners and Novices are welcome here in all the subforums. Don't be shy. Woodworking is a learned skill. This is a warm and helpful crowd, and you will learn lots.

I'm sure many of you advanced critters could have built the Brooklyn Bridge in the time it took me to drive in a dozen screws, :rofl: but you gotta start somewhere, and I'm happy with my day. :highfive: I'll keep you posted....

Cynthia :wave:

Is any ones shop really finished?:deadhorse::rofl::rofl:

Looks great so far Cynthia!:thumb: Brings back alot of memories. Just don't make anything to permanent till you start working with it for a while. More than likely you will rearrange a few times to get it the way you want it.

Atleast you only have one dog with you in the shop. I sometimes have up to 8 that want to lay on the concrete floor and sleep. They also do a good job of cleaning up any pecan sawdust or shavings that fall on the floor. Guess they taste good.:huh::dunno:

Looking good Cynthia. Everyone has to start some place and the beggining is the best place and you have started. Oh you might want to get a set of these on your key chain

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=10434&cat=1,190,43034

and keep a needle in your wallet for the slivers you are going to get. The fact that you have gotten a stepping stool to work off of is a step in the right direction. Just remember to work smart not hard. Take your time and do things right as there is no race to finish first. Remember your on Island time now.

Cynthia you have one good thing going for you...You cannot possibly make any more mistakes than I did...You have lots of helper / educato types to help you. I was not aware that there was such a thing as FWW.

Now FWW is my second source of WW knowledge. Glenn is the number one source. I bother him a lot. At least I know he loves me because he hasn't shot me yet.

Enjoy,

Jim

Cynthia you have one good thing going for you...You cannot possibly make any more mistakes than I did...You have lots of helper / educator types to help you. I was not aware that there was such a thing as FWW.

Now FWW is my second source of WW knowledge. Glenn is the number one source. I bother him a lot. At least I know he loves me because he hasn't shot me yet.

Enjoy,

Jim