Teeny Progress in the Shop

Your shop is looking better then mine.:( Half of my stuff is still packed in a storage container waiting for a concrete floor to put stuff on.

Looking good. You are ahead of me. I built my first projects on the floor. Finally caught on and built a 2x4 frame with a plywood surface off one wall. That made things easier and probably accounts for a lot in my decision to continue forward with this wonderful activity. Never been sorry yet.

Thank you so much for the kind words--you folks really make me feel like I can learn this woodworking thing.

Allen, I'll see what I can do about the wings.
Drew, yes, I am always on the lookout for slivers (or splinters as we say in American English) :D, but I do wear gloves all the time.

The weather is nice today so I'll try to get a lot done and then post some new photos. :D:thumb: I'm going to have to run over to the local Borg to pick up a few things that I can't live without...:rofl:

Thank you so much for the kind words--you folks really make me feel like I can learn this woodworking thing.

Allen, I'll see what I can do about the wings.
Drew, yes, I am always on the lookout for slivers (or splinters as we say in American English) :D, but I do wear gloves all the time.

The weather is nice today so I'll try to get a lot done and then post some new photos. :D:thumb: I'm going to have to run over to the local Borg to pick up a few things that I can't live without...:rofl:

No No splinter was the rat from teen aged mutant ninga turtles. :rofl:

Yes but your in Canada now and we speak canadian english eh ! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This post comes with a WARNING. It's not against the CoC, but it is likely to result in violent spasms of laughter. Do not read this post if you have a heart condition, are pregnant or have a delicate disposition.
loudlaff.gif

I have almost finished my table. It's not pretty or going to give Frank Lloyd Wright any competition. But it is stout (thanks Larry, my hero, Merlau), square, flat, level, and on castors. It's heavy as lead. I'm just waiting for a little breeze outside so I can sand it a little. It's 33" tall, perfect for me and I can sit at it if I want. The bottom looks weird because I (thought I) finished it, and then discovered it was too short. A lot too short, as in fit for a kindergarten woodworking class, :doh: :pullhair: :tantrum: so I had to figure out how to make it taller, and I just added to the bottom. I made it with whatever I had lying around. 2" X 4"'s, 1" X 4"'s, and 2 sheets of 1/2" ply. I was going to put hardboard on top, but I'm not sure it needs that.

shoptableoct2810.jpg

shopt2oct2810.jpg

shopt3oct2810.jpg

shopt4oct2810.jpg

Notice the little slot on one side for me to stick a pen or a little knife. LOML said it was a "deficiency" because he couldn't fit his fat fingers in there. That was right before he asked if he could borrow it. And then there's the magnificently crafted permanent bench dog with a shelf on the other side. I included a little gloat for yesterday's visit to the borg for a screws. :D

Enjoy. It's amazing how great it is to have a table, when you've been working without one for weeks. :)
2uge4p4.gif

Cynthia :thumb: :woot:

Looks just fine to me Cynthia! :thumb:

Now you need to be warned about a disease that affects many horizontal surfaces in the workshop. It's called "CampesterSuperficiesClutterExaggeratio" and is the tendancy of any horizontal surface to accumlate objects until you cannot see the surface.

No one knows how or why this happens. Perhaps the surface is shy and wants to hide. Perhaps it is lonely and desires company. All I know is that once it starts, it's extremely difficult to eradicate. The only known antidote is to not let the clutterization process to start...

Oh no, I see it's already begun....

attachment.php

Well, good luck with that....

Looks just fine to me Cynthia! :thumb:

Now you need to be warned about a disease that affects many horizontal surfaces in the workshop. It's called "CampesterSuperficiesClutterExaggeratio" and is the tendancy of any horizontal surface to accumlate objects until you cannot see the surface.

No one knows how or why this happens. Perhaps the surface is shy and wants to hide. Perhaps it is lonely and desires company. All I know is that once it starts, it's extremely difficult to eradicate. The only known antidote is to not let the clutterization process to start...

Oh no, I see it's already begun....

attachment.php

Well, good luck with that....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Looks great Cynthia :thumb:

That's wonderful. Great job on the table. What a beautiful open expanse of surface, hungering for clutter and spilled liquids. Ah, the beauty of a pristine landscape waiting to be put to use.

Yep. The amount of clutter in any shop is directly proportional to the anout of horizontal surface area available.

Nice job! That will come in very handy.

Just catching up Cynthia.

From the first set of pics all i can say is its a dogs life. :D Boy it must be great to be a dog in your house. Looks real comfy on that cot.

The table is excellent. I did the same kind of thing when i was working in my basement before i even thought of a shop or found this place. Still have the table trapped in the basement. :rofl: Yours is way better than mine. I would not worry about hardboard if i were you. If you concerned with glue mess etc get a wide large roll of the card type brwonish grey paper i dont know what they call it at the borg and lay that out before a glue up.

Now you through with that i can recommend another pretty easy to implement project that will certainly help with all the clutter.

Tom Clark posted a really great thread on building shop cabinets with draws in them. Here They are made with plywood and pretty easy to do. I made two sets for my shop and needed them to get all my tools off the floor and have a place to store them. The only alteration I would make which i am going to do in retrofit to mine is to make the draws lower in height and add more of them that way. Maybe have one or two medium ones but the rest no more than i would say 1.5 to 2 inches in height. I used cheap kitchen draw runners and they have done fine so far. Most guys use heavy duty sliders. Take a look at the thread if you interested i can give you some more tips on how to make em very easy making the local home depot do the bulk of the work.:rofl:

Thanks for input everyone, and the encouragement, Rob. Yeah I looked at those plans and they look doable. Trying to get a little organized this week. Building a rack for boards so they take up 30" of depth instead of 4.5'. As predicted every horizontal surface is covered with stuff now. Glassman donated the ugly thing you see on the right from his shop to mine, and once I clean it up it should hold a lot of stuff. The previous owner of LOML's last house built it and it must have had more parts to it because it appears to have been chopped down vertically from something that used to be next to it--ragged edges and all. :huh: It'll do and the price is right! FREE.

shop2nov22010.jpg

shopnov32010.jpg

make sure you dont pile stuff or put cabinets, machines next to the wood supply or you wont be able to slide the boards out when you want them.Ya have that wood breakfront and you will not be able to slide the boards out.And if you dont have more than 8 feet of space on the walk in door side, you wont be able to slide the boards out that side.
With the 2x4s going down in front you wont be able to use any of the wall space on either side of the wood storage unless you dont mind moving everything whenever you need wood.In addition, its good to keep the floor space open where youre moving wood around since some boards can get pretty heavy and you need to be able to move around freely in front of the rack or in your case on the sides. It would be extremely tough to grab an end of an 10 inch wide 8 foot board and try to slide it out and hold it up without going into the middle of the board.

Last edited:
Okay lumber rack is 95% complete. Boards go up on it tomorrow. A couple of people voiced concern, publicly and privately, about my ability to get boards on and off the rack easily with all the vertical supports. So I modified the design and left the front verticals off of one support to make sure I had no problem with that. Once the boards go up, then the ugly cabinet thing gets moved to another wall. I notice the photo has quite a bit of distortion on the left. No, those verticals are straight, not curved like they look. So it's not pretty, but it's sturdy, level, and square. Glassman says it looks "skookum". Not sure what that means--it must be a Canadian expression--but I think it's a compliment.

lumberrack2nov1210.jpg

lumberrack12nov10.jpg

Of course, now that it's about done, I realize I should have done it differently, but oh well, I'm not changing it now. Maybe down the line I will. Don't you hate that? :doh: :huh: :bonkers: :bang: :bang: :pullhair: :pullhair:

Cynthia, it was not my intention to insult what you built or make a negative comment. Ive made a similar unit and found out I had problems so I was sharing it with you before you loaded it up with 1000 lbs of wood.