Firing up Old Guadalupe!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got a load of hardwood firewood (Almond), so it's time to fire up the smoker!

Going to slap some baby backs on there and smoke them for about 7-8 hours. Just need to check on it every half hour or so and toss another chunk of wood on the fire.

It's a new braunfels 'guadalupe' model BBQ. I "welded" up the fire box on the side and added the chimney. Put a bunch of bricks inside for some heat ballast.

Been a few years since I used it, but it used to work out pretty well with a nice low temp.

attachment.php

2 cords of Almond stacked up. Sharon was a real good help here.

Still have 1 more cord of almond, and 1 cord of pine to stack up. Ordered more racks today and should be able to get those stacked up and covered next weekend.
attachment.php

Attachments

• oldguadalupe_800.jpg
    oldguadalupe_800.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 2cordsofalmond.jpg
    2cordsofalmond.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hmmmmm.... I wish I could check its performance. !! After having those ABT at your place I can't but wanting to check what comes out from that BBQ Brent. :thumb::D

That's the one thing we didn't move with us when we came north... I had to leave my smoker behind... did some great briskets on that thing... regret not leaving something else and bringing the smoker.

About halfway there. Been smoking them low and slow around 220 degrees since a little before noon... Should be ready around 6pm...

:beer:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 51
At this point, I'd basically sell my soul for a pound of really good smoked whitefish.

....say, you don't have any use for one, do you? I'm thinking of going into marketing, so I haven't got much use for it.

Forgot to take the after pictures, but all I can say is that those baby backs were tender, smokey, and delicious, no sauce necessary....