Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Li'l Stumpy - A truly fine piece of flatwork...

Li'l Stumpy - A truly fine piece of flatwork...

Had a devil of a time trying to find a nice piece of log out here in the desert to use for a chopping block, so I resorted to making my own...

What you see is 2 10' 4x4 chopped down and glued up. Sharon said I made an artificial log, so I'm calling it stumpy...

Basically, it's the heaviest cutting board I've ever made...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stumpy.jpg  

Hope you oriented the grain right so it won't warp

It's going to take a lot of mineral oil for that one!

Aw come on, toss that sucker on the lathe and make it round
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Myrna and I have heated our home with a woodstove for 39 (maybe more) years. I have a real stump. You may discover what I did...the darn stump jumps when you chop. The ground acts like a trampoline.

My solution was to dig a trashbarrel size hole, Insert a trashbarrel with a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe placed vertically in the center and fill it with 300 pounds of cement.

What's the pvc for: The cutting log has a 2 1/4 inch hole in it. It fits over the pvc in the cememt. That keeps the cutting log from traveling. I have been using the same log for years. It has really been beat on. I have wedges and split logs up to 30" using wedges and sledge hammer. I have regular axes plus an eight pounder.

The wood heat is great. Our forced air furnace is literally new.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

That's some fine, fine woodworking there, Brent. Did I mention fine? Looks like you sanded that sucker to 800...maybe even 801, whatever it takes. Where'd you get the plans from? (Don't tell me you designed such an awesome piece yourself.) I tried drawing it up in Sketchup but it was just too dang complicated for me to grasp.

Seriously, that looks like it'll do the trick just fine. Beats the dirt, for sure, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Wow! A handmade chopping block. That's one handsome piece. What a great idea!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Hey Brent, I could've mailed you a stump! Probably wouldn't have cost three or four times what your materials did.

Nice piece o'work there. Looks like it'll lead to more work though.

But come to think of it, if there isn't wood enough to find a stump, then what are you going to be splitting? I see you called it a chopping block - is it for chopping off parts, not splitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Myrna and I have heated our home with a woodstove for 39 (maybe more) years. I have a real stump. You may discover what I did...the darn stump jumps when you chop. The ground acts like a trampoline.

My solution was to dig a trashbarrel size hole, Insert a trashbarrel with a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe placed vertically in the center and fill it with 300 pounds of cement.

What's the pvc for: The cutting log has a 2 1/4 inch hole in it. It fits over the pvc in the cememt. That keeps the cutting log from traveling. I have been using the same log for years. It has really been beat on. I have wedges and split logs up to 30" using wedges and sledge hammer. I have regular axes plus an eight pounder.
    Great advice from someone with Experience! I did notice it likes to move around a bit, I'll have to see about doing something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Looks like you sanded that sucker to 800...maybe even 801, whatever it takes.
    All the way up to 80 grit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

Seriously, that looks like it'll do the trick just fine. Beats the dirt, for sure, huh?
    Or better yet the concrete or gravel!

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    But come to think of it, if there isn't wood enough to find a stump, then what are you going to be splitting? I see you called it a chopping block - is it for chopping off parts, not splitting?
    We had 4 cords of wood delivered. The delivery charge was 50$ weather they delivered a face cord or 4 cords, which was the max they could deliver for one load. I probably could have asked if they had any rounds they could have thrown on the truck, but forgot to. This just seemed to be a fairly quick and easy way to accomplish the same thing. It would cost me as much in fuel to go find one as it did to buy the materials for this

We've got 2 cords of Almond stacked up so far. Still have one more cord of almond, and one of pine (primarily for kindling) left to get stacked up.

Sorry, every time I see you place, I just marvel at the space
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward