Beginner Tools Gloat

I'd hate for anything to happen in my shop that you folks wouldn't know about.......:rofl:....so here are this week's additions:

toolsoct102010.jpg

A little all-purpose hand saw
A coping saw
A small vice....don't know much about vices so I figured I should start small
2 36" clamps
More locking castors--for everything that moves
The Kreg pocket screw thingamabob kit.
and a big fat fire extinguisher. I already had this, but moved it into the shop....and I know how to use it if necessary.

LOML prefers it if I take the dog when I go shopping because I don't like leaving him in the truck so I race through the store and it cuts down on spending...;)

Not very exciting for the advanced woodworkers among us, but thoroughly satisfying when you are starting with....not much. :):):thumb::bliss:

...Not very exciting for the advanced woodworkers among us, but thoroughly satisfying when you are starting with....not much. :):):thumb::bliss:

Hey, it's all stuff you'll need and use. Some more than others, but still all handy to have around. :thumb: (For example, I don't use a coping saw very much at all, but when I need one, I need one. I still have the one I bought when I was in first or second grade, plus one or two more that I inherited over the years.)

Cynthia, don't down play your purchases. We all start somewhere. It is gratifying to see a person begin a positive habit like woodworking. All of those look like they will be good tools, heres hoping to you never needing to use the fire extinguisher!!! :thumb::thumb:

Good start Cynthia. Buying new tools is the highpoint of the day. I've had my coping saw for 40 plus years and it still has the original blade on it. It sure comes in handy from time to time though.

Good for you Cynthia. Shame on your Frank. I have an extinguisher mounted at each exit plus one near the chemicals. My insurance is good but I'm not up for the experience :rofl:

That is only a drop in the bucket of the clamps you'll have a few years from now, can never have enough clamps. The coping saw is one thing you'll probably never have to get another blade for, but you'll never get rid of that saw, when you need it, you need it. :lurk:

Ya gotta start somewhere and justifying the purchase ain't too tough for hand tools or small power tools. I'm using tools that I bought while still in High School that I see at antique auctions now for outrageous prices. Saw a 6' Lufkin folding ruler last Saturday tagged @ $50 :eek: I bought mine in 1964 for around 2 bucks.
When you buy, get the best your budget will allow and they should last for generations.
And congrats on the mod position.:thumb: