Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Photos

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Question about Photos

Why is it that some people's posts with photos show up as thumbnails *and* large photos that load automatically--like Darren's post about his kitchen--and some posts only show up as thumbnails--like mine?

Thanks,
    cynthia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Cynthia,
    check out the 'how to post a photo' tutorial that Vaughn put up awhile back.
    -Ned

Cynthia, some people attach the photos like I describe in the tutorial Ned pointed to, then use the Insert Image button to link to the larger pic. That's why you see the big pics inline with the text, then see a batch of thumbnails at the bottom of the post.

Here's an example, using one of Frank Fusco's hunting pics:

I attached the pic (you can see the thumbnail below), then clicked Preview to see the post. Next I clicked on the thumbnail in the preview, and that opened the full-sized version of the photo in another browser tab. I grabbed that URL (which is http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...8&d=1286793137) and used the Insert Image button to put the pic inline with this text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Triceratops Hunt.jpg  
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Cynthia,
    Some photo sites also have an imbedded thumbnail code, which will allow you to post a thumbnail linked to their site for a larger image. Photobucket will, as will zenfolio, just to muddy the waters further.
    -Ned

I do what Ned speaks of from Photobucket. Found it to be the quickest and easiest.

That picture of Frank Fusco and his hunting party is just great.

Did he injure his shoulder while hunting that beast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    That picture of Frank Fusco and his hunting party is just great.

Did he injure his shoulder while hunting that beast?
    Yep. I didn't shoot him, just broke his neck.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

After I upload my pictures, I right click the link for each and use the "Copy Link Location" (firefox, there's a similar one for IE, dunno about mac). I then use the insert image to paste in the copied link location (as Vaughn explained). It takes a few minutes longer to do, but I think it makes a better post and it doesn't use anymore space.

The problem with using photobucket and other photo sites is that over time they change their ways of linking to photos, probably not intentionally, but as part of an upgrade or enhancement. Then all the sites that you've contributed to now have broken image links and incomplete posts. I prefer to keep my photos on FWW or the other forums I contribute to so this doesn't happen.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Darren makes a somewhat good point, hosting here for photos keeps them 'in' the forums in case the external hosting site goes down.

imho and speaking as a pro photographer the images _I_ post are 'mine', and I prefer to put them where If I choose to, I can delete them as I see fit, so I use either photobucket (for woodworking and personal stuff) or Zenfolio for my studio work. It might mean that someday my photos on any given forum might go 'poof', sorry in advance if that happens, but I still reserve the right to control my own images. If they go poof, however, I've got much bigger things to worry about than any given forum's having a busted image link.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Darren makes a somewhat good point, hosting here for photos keeps them 'in' the forums in case the external hosting site goes down.

imho and speaking as a pro photographer the images _I_ post are 'mine', and I prefer to put them where If I choose to, I can delete them as I see fit, so I use either photobucket (for woodworking and personal stuff) or Zenfolio for my studio work. It might mean that someday my photos on any given forum might go 'poof', sorry in advance if that happens, but I still reserve the right to control my own images. If they go poof, however, I've got much bigger things to worry about than any given forum's having a busted image link.
    FYI if you click on User CP and look under "Miscellaneous" you will see "Attachements", if you click that, you get a listing of all of your attachments here at Family Woodworking. You can then delete them at any time if you want to.

FYI
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward