Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded DVR

Upgraded DVR

We've had a Directivo for about 7 yrs now, in fact we had three of them, plus on set top box, unfortunately one of the boxes' hard drive crashed a few weeks ago, just about the same time that DirecTV said that they would be changing which satellite our local channels were going to be broadcast from. After a couple of reschedules, we finally got three brand new HD DVR's and one HD set top tuner for the household. Plus the installer threw in a pair of networking power strips, once I get cat-5 run between the units and our household router, I'l be able to record in one room and play back in another room, guess whose shop will get the set top unit when we move to VA?

I"m busy setting up my new recording schedules this morning on the living room set... TOH, Woodturner's Workshop Nahm...
    -Ned

Congrats, Ned. We switched to Dish TV a year or so ago (DirecTV made me mad...long story) and got their HD DVRs, even though we don't have any HD sets in the house. (I still like the DirecTV units better, and prefer the real TiVo models over those.) LOML watches hers all the time, but I think the last time I had my TV turned on was for the Winter Olympics.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats, Ned. We switched to Dish TV a year or so ago (DirecTV made me mad...long story) and got their HD DVRs, even though we don't have any HD sets in the house. (I still like the DirecTV units better, and prefer the real TiVo models over those.) LOML watches hers all the time, but I think the last time I had my TV turned on was for the Winter Olympics.
    I too would prefer a Tivo over a Directivo, which really the new units are, the 'engine' behind the search etc... is the Tivo engine used under license, however, since we're subscribers, this is a decent option.

Not to say that DirecTV is ideal, but it works well enough for our house.

Must be why you get so much woodworking done!
    -Ned

I switched from dish network to direct tv about 6 years ago.
    I find the service and signal much better.
    I have had their tivo installed on my main television since they installed my system and have never ever used it
    It's supposed to be connected to a phone line but I've never run a line to where the tv is. Kind of stupid I guess.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Ned, I've not used a stand-alone TiVo, but I've used the TiVo that DirecTV supplied. We also had the non-TiVo DVR they replaced the TiVos with a few years ago when they dropped support for it. I really liked the TiVo interface better than the generic DVR. I believe I heard some time back (but I'm not sure) they were going to renew their relationship with TiVo.

I've gotta agree with Bob though, I think DirecTV is better than Dish, although we've had no signal or service issues so far. After my Dish contract is over, I might take DirecTV up on one of their monthly offers to come back.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

and here I thought you bought a lathe.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    I"m busy setting up my new recording schedules this morning on the living room set... TOH, Woodturner's Workshop Nahm...
    There's an app for that!

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...uestid=1363647
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I switched from dish network to direct tv about 6 years ago.
    I find the service and signal much better.
    I have had their tivo installed on my main television since they installed my system and have never ever used it
    It's supposed to be connected to a phone line but I've never run a line to where the tv is. Kind of stupid I guess.

pssst, it works just FINE without the phone line.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    pssst, it works just FINE without the phone line.

Nooo way Really ?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Interesting. We've had Dish for years and upgraded when we moved in several years. We are able to make do with 1 DVR that can record 2 shows at once, as the dog and cats haven't learned how to work the remote controls yet...

I had a couple of external Tivo units before, and I really liked the Tivo operating system better than the dish network, but I can't say it's been a hinderance to my watching too much TV.