Upgraded DVR

Ned Bulken

We've had a Directivo for about 7 yrs now, in fact we had three of them, plus on set top box, unfortunately one of the boxes' hard drive crashed a few weeks ago, just about the same time that DirecTV said that they would be changing which satellite our local channels were going to be broadcast from. After a couple of reschedules, we finally got three brand new HD DVR's and one HD set top tuner for the household. Plus the installer threw in a pair of networking power strips, once I get cat-5 run between the units and our household router, I'l be able to record in one room and play back in another room, guess whose shop will get the set top unit when we move to VA?

I"m busy setting up my new recording schedules this morning on the living room set... TOH, Woodturner's Workshop Nahm... :D

Congrats, Ned. :thumb: We switched to Dish TV a year or so ago (DirecTV made me mad...long story) and got their HD DVRs, even though we don't have any HD sets in the house. (I still like the DirecTV units better, and prefer the real TiVo models over those.) LOML watches hers all the time, but I think the last time I had my TV turned on was for the Winter Olympics. :doh:

Congrats, Ned. :thumb: We switched to Dish TV a year or so ago (DirecTV made me mad...long story) and got their HD DVRs, even though we don't have any HD sets in the house. (I still like the DirecTV units better, and prefer the real TiVo models over those.) LOML watches hers all the time, but I think the last time I had my TV turned on was for the Winter Olympics. :doh:

I too would prefer a Tivo over a Directivo, which really the new units are, the 'engine' behind the search etc... is the Tivo engine used under license, however, since we're subscribers, this is a decent option.

Not to say that DirecTV is ideal, but it works well enough for our house.

Must be why you get so much woodworking done!

I switched from dish network to direct tv about 6 years ago.
I find the service and signal much better.
I have had their tivo installed on my main television since they installed my system and have never ever used it :eek:
It's supposed to be connected to a phone line but I've never run a line to where the tv is. Kind of stupid I guess.:(

Ned, I've not used a stand-alone TiVo, but I've used the TiVo that DirecTV supplied. We also had the non-TiVo DVR they replaced the TiVos with a few years ago when they dropped support for it. I really liked the TiVo interface better than the generic DVR. I believe I heard some time back (but I'm not sure) they were going to renew their relationship with TiVo.

I've gotta agree with Bob though, I think DirecTV is better than Dish, although we've had no signal or service issues so far. ;) After my Dish contract is over, I might take DirecTV up on one of their monthly offers to come back. :)

I switched from dish network to direct tv about 6 years ago.
I find the service and signal much better.
I have had their tivo installed on my main television since they installed my system and have never ever used it :eek:
It's supposed to be connected to a phone line but I've never run a line to where the tv is. Kind of stupid I guess.:(

pssst, it works just FINE without the phone line.

Interesting. We've had Dish for years and upgraded when we moved in several years. We are able to make do with 1 DVR that can record 2 shows at once, as the dog and cats haven't learned how to work the remote controls yet...

I had a couple of external Tivo units before, and I really liked the Tivo operating system better than the dish network, but I can't say it's been a hinderance to my watching too much TV.

Nooo way :eek::eek::eek::eek: Really ?

Bob,
the phone line is only for ordering ppv movies, and data tracking for the tivo software, but it works just fine without any line hooked up at all.

Interesting. We've had Dish for years and upgraded when we moved in several years. We are able to make do with 1 DVR that can record 2 shows at once, as the dog and cats haven't learned how to work the remote controls yet...

I had a couple of external Tivo units before, and I really liked the Tivo operating system better than the dish network, but I can't say it's been a hinderance to my watching too much TV.

Well, the three DVRs were because we had 1 in the living room, then one in a bedroom, and I bought a third intending to put it out in the shop, but that one never got hooked up out there. Well, when they changed which 'bird' our local channels came on, the set top box was out of date, but they flagged all of the tivo's as 'replace for no cost' too, so we have three HDR directivo units dual tuner. So now our eldest who charitable can be somewhat.... picky.... about things can have his own domain, and won't be at loggerheads with yours truly. The Middle son gets to share his with the rest of the family, as the house computer is in there, and I'm certain the LOML will commandeer his unit occasionally as well. Leaving the Living room unit to both the LOML and I for our shared shows list.

Placed an order with direct tv today-- I said I would never go back to them...

I was happy with dish network. UNTIL they dropped fox sports...

So I am back with direct tv. .... I think the advertised prices are small print LIEs. Waiting on my first bill before I yell anymore.... What I call lies are really difficult to follow -- the ad reads free, free,free then you have to jump over and around many hoops -- Hoping that you have answered all of their question correctly to qualify for the free, free, free this and that.

I think the advertised $39.95/ month will cost me over $70.00/month when they get finished with me..... They are slick with ads.. Lead you on and then get you. I never had this problem with dish network.

Venting. But don't want to miss my local college football this weekend as I did last week due dish dropping FS Midwest.