Thread: color matching

color matching

did you ever have one of those colors you just could not get. I'm working on an existing counter top that is a gray. with about 20 years of ambering of varnish to it. So I stripped it and had a supply shop match it up in lacquer for me, they were so far off. I had some real tweeking to do.

What is the hardest color you have to match up?
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Flesh tones on a statue.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don are you working with Acrylic paints for touch up's. If so I can help you out. Flesh tones are very easy but takes a good eye and a lot of suttle mixing of color as you go. Little bit of this and a little big of that. As you know flesh tones vary a lot when matching. This painting had a big hole in the right side of the mouth area. I had to repaint about a 2x3" area. This guy was the Chaplin of the Senate in the 40's and 50's, His portrait hangs in the Nation Episcopal church in DC Which he founded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGA0625.JPG   IMGA0624.JPG   IMGA0612.JPG  
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 10-12-2010 at 05:15 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I had a statue that had both arms broken off and after putting them back on I had to touch up the torso to get the color to match, Yes I used acrylics and after a lot of a little of this and a little of that I was so successful that you couldn't tell the repairs had ever been made or that it had been broken, but it took a lot of mixing to get a match
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That great Don. Flesh tones use to be hard but then I started taking my time and worked at it. The frustration level went way down and the success with way up.