color matching

did you ever have one of those colors you just could not get. I'm working on an existing counter top that is a gray. with about 20 years of ambering of varnish to it. So I stripped it and had a supply shop match it up in lacquer for me, they were so far off. I had some real tweeking to do.

What is the hardest color you have to match up?

Don are you working with Acrylic paints for touch up's. If so I can help you out. Flesh tones are very easy but takes a good eye and a lot of suttle mixing of color as you go. Little bit of this and a little big of that. As you know flesh tones vary a lot when matching. This painting had a big hole in the right side of the mouth area. I had to repaint about a 2x3" area. This guy was the Chaplin of the Senate in the 40's and 50's, His portrait hangs in the Nation Episcopal church in DC Which he founded.

Attachments

• IMGA0625.JPG
    IMGA0625.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGA0624.JPG
    IMGA0624.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGA0612.JPG
    IMGA0612.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I had a statue that had both arms broken off and after putting them back on I had to touch up the torso to get the color to match, Yes I used acrylics and after a lot of a little of this and a little of that I was so successful that you couldn't tell the repairs had ever been made or that it had been broken, but it took a lot of mixing to get a match